Oct 16, 2013, 12:00 PM EDT
Daniel Ricciardo admits he is still at a loss to understand why he was handed a drive-through penalty while overtaking Adrian Sutil during the Japanese Grand Prix.
Ricciardo said he did not gain an advantage by doing so.
Reflecting on the race yesterday Ricciardo said he was proud of the move: “Passing Sutil around the outside at 130R was a brilliant sensation.”
“Maybe that corner doesn’t hold the terrors it once did but trust me, there was definitely clenching going on. In fact if the on-board footage emerges you’ll see me having a little fist-pump as soon as I was through the chicane and in the clear.”
“I was really jacked-up. It was cool. Shame I got clobbered for it.”
“I was and am genuinely surprised that the stewards penalized me for the pass on Sutil,” he added, “When my engineer told me I’d picked up a penalty, it never crossed my mind it was for that.”
“Earlier in the race when I was out-of-sequence on the hard tire I’d collected a big train of cars behind me so I thought perhaps I’d done something dirty then.
“I thought possibly I’d weaved when I was defending from Hulkenberg, or maybe cut him off without noticing. I didn’t think I had but it’s difficult to judge with the mirrors. When I heard what it was actually for… as I say, surprised.”
- For Dixon, it’s likely Mid-Ohio or bust in terms of 2015 IndyCar title hopes 0
- Race Recap: Vettel draws level with Senna on all-time win list with victory in Hungary 1
- NHRA Mile-High Nationals winners: Torrence, Beckman, Morgan, Krawiec 2
- F1 grid unites to pay tribute to Jules Bianchi (VIDEO) 1
- F1 Paddock Pass: Hungarian GP post-race (VIDEO) 1
- Vettel dedicates Hungarian GP win to Jules Bianchi 2
- Vettel storms to victory in Hungary as Hamilton and Rosberg hit trouble 9