Oct 17, 2013, 8:00 PM EDT
Over the last few weeks, details of the 2014 IndyCar schedule have emerged drip-by-drip and on Thursday night, the full gush of the entire schedule was revealed on NBCSN.
An 18-race schedule at 15 race weekends is fairly in line with this year’s 19-race, 16 weekend calendar. But it’s a condensed schedule running from the season opener March 30 at St. Petersburg to the season finale, August 30, at Auto Club Speedway in Fontana, Calif.
Six ovals, four road course races and eight street course races will make up the 18-race slate, which will be held over just 23 weeks. There are no long “schedule gaps,” with only one two-week break from Texas Motor Speedway June 7 to Houston’s doubleheader June 28-29.
“The 2014 schedule reflects a more condensed North American calendar to increase the consistency with our race weekends,” said Mark Miles, CEO, Hulman & Co., the parent of INDYCAR. “We’ll be building momentum throughout the season toward crowning our champion on Labor Day weekend.”
Baltimore is dropped as is Brazil, which was in a perpetual state of “maybe” after an agreement with the current promoter could not be reached. It could still happen though, per Miles. The Indianapolis road course race in May is the only new addition.
Detroit, Houston and Toronto retain their doubleheader status, same as they were this year.
There’s a handful of race dates that move. Barber Motorsports Park shifts to after Long Beach to April 26. Rumors of Houston’s move to late June have come true with its switch to June 28-29. Both of IndyCar’s short ovals shift as well, Iowa to mid-July, on July 12, and Milwaukee to August 17.
2014 IndyCar schedule: March 30: Streets of St. Petersburg (SC) April 13: Streets of Long Beach (SC) April 26: Barber Motorsports Park (RC) May 10: Grand Prix of Indianapolis (RC) May 25: Indianapolis Motor Speedway (Oval) May 31: Raceway at Belle Isle Park (SC) June 1: Raceway at Belle Isle Park (SC) June 7: Texas Motor Speedway (Oval) June 28: Reliant Park (SC) June 29: Reliant Park (SC) July 6: Pocono International Raceway (Oval) July 12: Iowa Speedway (Oval) July 19: Streets of Toronto (SC) July 20: Streets of Toronto (SC) Aug. 3: Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course (RC) Aug. 17: The Milwaukee Mile (Oval) Aug. 24: Sonoma Raceway (RC) Aug. 30: Auto Club Speedway (Oval)
- Power steals final pole of IndyCar’s 2015 season with new track record at Sonoma 2
- Oriol Servia reflects on his friend Justin Wilson, as he races No. 25 car at Sonoma (VIDEO) 0
- IndyCar’s championship contenders ready their thoughts, minds for Sonoma finale 1
- Here are your NBCSN TV times, weekend coverage plan for IndyCar’s Sonoma season finale 0
- Preview: IndyCar will race to honor Wilson, and to close its season, at Sonoma 1
- Andretti to field No. 25 car at Sonoma; Oriol Servia to drive Wilson tribute car 4
- IndyCars cross the Golden Gate Bridge; pay tribute to Justin Wilson (PHOTOS, VIDEO) 5