Oct 18, 2013, 9:52 PM EDT
The last practice pacesetter of the 2013 IZOD IndyCar Series season is Marco Andretti of Andretti Autosport.
The driver of the No. 25 Dr Pepper Chevrolet clocked in a fastest lap of 218.755 at the 2-mile Auto Club Speedway under the lights. Helio Castroneves was second ahead of Ed Carpenter, Tony Kanaan and polesitter Will Power. Points leader Scott Dixon was sixth.
All of the top four were in the 218 mph range before the rest of the runners dropped off into the 213 to 217 mph range.
Alex Tagliani (eighth) and Oriol Servia (13th) each ran the most laps, 41, while Tristan Vautier managed only one before pitting with half the session complete, with apparent mechanical issues for his No. 55 Schmidt Peterson Motorsports Honda.
Pippa Mann (30 laps) and Takuma Sato (35) returned to the track after missing qualifying due to their accidents in practice one. Both drivers were in their primary cars, after repair work from the Dale Coyne and A.J. Foyt Racing crews.
The 30-minute session provided an opportunity to test varying lines for the MAVTV 500, which will go green at 6:10 p.m. PT instead of the planned 5:50 p.m. Glare and obscured sight lines entering Turn 3 necessitated the decision, which was announced earlier Friday by INDYCAR.
- Volkswagen Andretti pair of Foust, Speed seek better fortunes, consistency 0
- Hinchcliffe released from hospital, expected to make full recovery (VIDEO) 5
- Fast Facts: Chevrolet Indy Dual in Detroit 0
- Drivers ponder why cars didn’t go airborne during the Indianapolis 500 5
- Bell: “A wild Indy 500 without the finish we desired” 0
- Ryan: Juan Pablo Montoya comes full circle at Indianapolis 1
- F1 Paddock Pass: Monaco Grand Prix post-race (VIDEO) 5