Oct 18, 2013, 10:30 PM EST
A few news and notes will follow below from the first day of on-track activity here at Auto Club Speedway in Fontana, Calif. – site of the MAVTV 500 IZOD IndyCar Series season finale (8 p.m. ET, NBCSN, NBC Sports Live Extra).
- Start time officially moved to 6:10 p.m. Purely for safety reasons, the start time of tomorrow’s race has been moved back 20 minutes from 5:50 to 6:10 p.m. PT and local time (9:10 p.m. ET). TV coverage will still start on NBCSN at 8 p.m. ET. The reason for the change is that the glare from the sunset entering Turns 3 and 4 is directly in the drivers’ eyes. Helio Castroneves addressed this concern in a recent teleconference.
- Miles, Zucker hold presser. Hulman & Co. CEO Mark Miles, head of INDYCAR’s parent company, and Auto Club Speedway president Gillian Zucker held a press conference earlier today to go over the just-announced 2014 IndyCar schedule and also ACS’ role in it. Likely, an even later start than the 6:10 p.m. time this year will be necessary for next year’s race. A handful of quotes from these two will follow in a further post on Saturday.
- Vautier named ROTY. Tristan Vautier was officially awarded the SUNOCO Rookie-of-the-Year honors Friday afternoon before the final practice of the day at ACS. But, as the Frenchman joked during the press conference, “Not my biggest (award),” since he had no full-time rivals this year. The Schmidt Peterson Motorsports driver said the biggest change to adjust to in the jump from Indy Lights was race length, and he said if all goes to plan he’ll be back with the team in 2014.
- Fuzzy’s has $250,000 on the line. If we didn’t touch on it earlier this week, we’ll mention it now. Fuzzy’s Vodka has $250,000 on offer if either Tony Kanaan or Scott Dixon wins Saturday night; that will make it two out of three for them in the Fuzzy’s Triple Crown. A $1 million bonus was available had Kanaan – or anyone else who won the Indianapolis 500 – swept all three races at Indy, Pocono and Fontana.
- Veach takes Indy Lights pole. Zach Veach secured his first career Firestone Indy Lights pole in qualifying for tomorrow’s Lucky’s Kids Club 100. Teammate Carlos Munoz was second, with title contenders Gabby Chaves third and Sage Karam seventh. Karam, though, will start from the rear of the nine-car field after an engine change.
- Hello, goodbye. We’ll touch on this more tomorrow as well, but the season finale means some hellos and more goodbyes. It is definitely the last race for Kanaan (KV Racing Technology-SH, pictured) and Sebastien Bourdais (Dragon Racing) at their respective teams. It is the possible last race for more than a handful of others at theirs. Meanwhile back in the saddle this weekend after missing Houston are: AJ Allmendinger, Carlos Munoz, Alex Tagliani, Pippa Mann and JR Hildebrand.
Mar 7, 2014, 11:00 AM EST
F1 tire supplier confirms eight testing days with teams in 2014, thus avoiding the ‘testgate’ scandal of 2013.
Mar 7, 2014, 10:37 AM EST
Two attempts for Indy qualifying required: one to get in, one to set starting order.
Mar 7, 2014, 10:00 AM EST
First target for Hulkenberg is to make it past the first lap at Albert Park, having failed to do so in three attempts.
Mar 7, 2014, 8:30 AM EST
CEO refuses to accept knock-down price for title sponsorship following McLaren’s worst season since 1980.
Mar 7, 2014, 7:00 AM EST
No change in the F1 legend’s condition as he remains in a medically-induced coma.
Mar 6, 2014, 9:45 PM EST
Phoenix winner only driver north of 190mph in Las Vegas test.
Mar 6, 2014, 8:00 PM EST
BHA rookie admits slight surprise in taking the reins of team’s No. 98 entry.
Mar 6, 2014, 6:45 PM EST
Series seeks marketing/promotional growth to match solid on-track product.
Mar 6, 2014, 6:00 PM EST
Townsend Bell, Bill Sweedler to continue in AIM-run Ferrari in TUDOR Championship.
Mar 6, 2014, 5:00 PM EST
Regulations change plus a solid preseason leaves Sir Frank bullish on Williams’ 2014 outlook.
Mar 6, 2014, 4:30 PM EST
NASCAR’s open test takes place this afternoon and into the early evening at Las Vegas Motor Speedway, site of Sunday’s Kobalt 400, the third round of the already-flying 2014 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series season.
Mar 6, 2014, 4:00 PM EST
Actor Jonathan Goldsmith to give “the Most Interesting Command in the World.”
Driver, team owner and now actor: Tony Stewart’s first edition of ‘Smoke is The Bandit’ is released (video)
Mar 6, 2014, 3:03 PM EST
After teasing us a few days ago with a brief video of what was to come, the first episode of Smokey Is The Bandit, featuring NASCAR star Tony Stewart, is out.
Mar 6, 2014, 2:19 PM EST
Funny Car driver Alexis DeJoria is already having a dream season – and she’s only two races into the 24-race 2014 NHRA schedule.
Mar 6, 2014, 1:38 PM EST
Although this is no laughing matter, one of comedian Larry the Cable Guy’s signature lines — “That ain’t right” – is quite appropriate in this instance. According to MotorAuthority.com, Chrysler officials have recalled 93 Dodge Vipers that were donated to schools and colleges around the U.S. for educational purposes. But the cars aren’t being recalled…
Mar 6, 2014, 12:31 PM EST
NHRA star Antron Brown is watching the career of budding NASCAR star Darrell “Bubba” Wallace quite closely.
Mar 6, 2014, 12:26 PM EST
For the first time in more than 30 years, the name “Bernstein” will not be on the qualifying grid for next week’s NHRA Gatornationals in Gainesville, Fla.
Mar 6, 2014, 11:30 AM EST
Pop quiz: Who has been the most consistent driver in Sprint Cup over nearly the last dozen races, dating back to the latter part of last season?
Mar 6, 2014, 10:35 AM EST
It’s been a question for the ages: which is faster, the Snake or the Mongoo$e? It’s a question that was arguably one of the most-asked during the late 1960s and 1970s when Don “The Snake” Prudhomme and Tom “The Mongoo$e” (yes, there was a $ instead of an “s”) McEwen engaged in one of the…
Mar 6, 2014, 9:45 AM EST
Rider learns from Simon Pagenaud, Josef Newgarden before sampling HPD simulator.
- Indianapolis 500 2014 Qualifying Format Revealed 0
- Schumacher “still in the wake up phase” 0
- Driver, team owner and now actor: Tony Stewart’s first edition of ‘Smoke is The Bandit’ is released (video) 0
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed 6
- Williams launches new livery, confirms Martini partnership 3
- Instead of significant improvement, 2014 starting off the way 2013 ended for Danica Patrick (10)
- Kurt Busch gives IndyCar chance to show they’ve learned lesson on promotion (10)
- Alonso discovers an F1 take on Ellen’s Oscar “Selfie” (6)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (6)
- UPDATED: FIA decision on Haas, new F1 teams delayed (5)