Oct 18, 2013, 10:30 PM EDT
A few news and notes will follow below from the first day of on-track activity here at Auto Club Speedway in Fontana, Calif. – site of the MAVTV 500 IZOD IndyCar Series season finale (8 p.m. ET, NBCSN, NBC Sports Live Extra).
- Start time officially moved to 6:10 p.m. Purely for safety reasons, the start time of tomorrow’s race has been moved back 20 minutes from 5:50 to 6:10 p.m. PT and local time (9:10 p.m. ET). TV coverage will still start on NBCSN at 8 p.m. ET. The reason for the change is that the glare from the sunset entering Turns 3 and 4 is directly in the drivers’ eyes. Helio Castroneves addressed this concern in a recent teleconference.
- Miles, Zucker hold presser. Hulman & Co. CEO Mark Miles, head of INDYCAR’s parent company, and Auto Club Speedway president Gillian Zucker held a press conference earlier today to go over the just-announced 2014 IndyCar schedule and also ACS’ role in it. Likely, an even later start than the 6:10 p.m. time this year will be necessary for next year’s race. A handful of quotes from these two will follow in a further post on Saturday.
- Vautier named ROTY. Tristan Vautier was officially awarded the SUNOCO Rookie-of-the-Year honors Friday afternoon before the final practice of the day at ACS. But, as the Frenchman joked during the press conference, “Not my biggest (award),” since he had no full-time rivals this year. The Schmidt Peterson Motorsports driver said the biggest change to adjust to in the jump from Indy Lights was race length, and he said if all goes to plan he’ll be back with the team in 2014.
- Fuzzy’s has $250,000 on the line. If we didn’t touch on it earlier this week, we’ll mention it now. Fuzzy’s Vodka has $250,000 on offer if either Tony Kanaan or Scott Dixon wins Saturday night; that will make it two out of three for them in the Fuzzy’s Triple Crown. A $1 million bonus was available had Kanaan – or anyone else who won the Indianapolis 500 – swept all three races at Indy, Pocono and Fontana.
- Veach takes Indy Lights pole. Zach Veach secured his first career Firestone Indy Lights pole in qualifying for tomorrow’s Lucky’s Kids Club 100. Teammate Carlos Munoz was second, with title contenders Gabby Chaves third and Sage Karam seventh. Karam, though, will start from the rear of the nine-car field after an engine change.
- Hello, goodbye. We’ll touch on this more tomorrow as well, but the season finale means some hellos and more goodbyes. It is definitely the last race for Kanaan (KV Racing Technology-SH, pictured) and Sebastien Bourdais (Dragon Racing) at their respective teams. It is the possible last race for more than a handful of others at theirs. Meanwhile back in the saddle this weekend after missing Houston are: AJ Allmendinger, Carlos Munoz, Alex Tagliani, Pippa Mann and JR Hildebrand.
Oct 30, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
The difficulties faced by Formula 1 in the United States seem to be long gone, with a great home in Austin, Texas and a booming fan base. Has the problem child of a market finally been righted?
Oct 29, 2014, 11:37 PM EDT
Behind the scenes of Lewis Hamilton’s day at the TODAY Show.
Oct 29, 2014, 7:20 PM EDT
When it comes to this weekend’s Toyota NHRA Nationals at The Strip at Las Vegas Motor Speedway, John Force is taking his effort to win his record-extending 17th Funny Car championship to a high power. As in 16X.
Oct 29, 2014, 6:55 PM EDT
On Wednesday’s edition of NASCAR America, Kelli Stavast talked with Jeff Gordon about the difficulties of advancing to the final round of the Chase.
Oct 29, 2014, 6:51 PM EDT
It was just a matter of time for NHRA Top Fuel drag racer Bob Vandergriff Jr., and now that time has come.
Oct 29, 2014, 6:45 PM EDT
With some of the things he says or does on the racetrack, Kyle Busch might seem like he’s all wet at times.
Oct 29, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
Hawksworth: “We’re here to win, to give 120 percent.”
Oct 29, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
Downtown Austin gets treated to the first big event of the F1 weekend.
Oct 29, 2014, 4:54 PM EDT
Coming up today: More on this week’s critical test at Homestead-Miami Speedway; an in-depth look at the Drive for Diversity program; Parker Kligerman shows you what it takes to be tops at Texas in the NBC Sports iRacing Simulator.
Oct 29, 2014, 4:22 PM EDT
After 10 delays to resolve the most serious charges against him stemming from a three-state police chase that reached speeds as high as 150-mph, will the 11th time finally be the charm for former NASCAR and World of Outlaws racer Tyler Walker?
Oct 29, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
A.J. Foyt’s Honda-powered team expands to two cars, with Jack Hawksworth joining Takuma Sato in the lineup.
Oct 29, 2014, 3:24 PM EDT
Even though it will only be his third appearance this season in the Nationwide Series, it’s kind of fitting that Florida native Scott Lagasse Jr. will compete in the third NNS race and season finale at Homestead-Miami Speedway.
Oct 29, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
CORE autosport looks back on its fourth straight PC team title.
Oct 29, 2014, 2:15 PM EDT
Voda will serve primarily as host for pre/post-race coverage of Sprint Cup and XFINITY Series events on NBC Sports.
Oct 29, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
The perils of street racing and dealing with city governments: Baltimore was a case study in what could go wrong.
Oct 29, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT
Jonathan Bomarito back in a Mazda, now in a prototype. I
Oct 29, 2014, 1:15 PM EDT
The Michael Waltrip Racing driver gets acquainted with Toyota’s newest challenger.
Oct 29, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
Schmidt Peterson’s first Indy Lights driver is confirmed.
Oct 29, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
The Fort Lauderdale, Florida native is inducted into the Broward County (Fla.) Hall of Fame as part of a class that includes two Olympic gold medalists and a Pro Football Hall of Famer.
Oct 29, 2014, 10:59 AM EDT
A simple “in Indianapolis” tweet could well mean Sam Bird is looking at an IndyCar opportunity.
Video from NASCAR America
- Behind the scenes: Lewis Hamilton on TODAY (VIDEO) 0
- Krista Voda to become host for NASCAR on NBC coverage next year 2
- VIDEO: Lewis Hamilton on TODAY Show, talks about F1 in the U.S. 2
- Tune-In: Lewis Hamilton on TODAY Show (PHOTOS) 1
- Different agendas for Jeff Gordon, Dale Jr. at Homestead test 1
- NBC, NBCSN set for mega U.S. Grand Prix weekend of coverage from Austin 2
- Lewis Hamilton to join TODAY Show on Wednesday 0