Oct 18, 2013, 1:35 PM EST
It’s not a huge surprise but Marco Andretti confirmed Friday he will be staying with father Michael’s operation in 2014 and 2015.
His ninth season of IndyCar racing will again be with the No. 25 car, with sponsorship still from the Dr Pepper Snapple group. No direction on which brand was identified during Friday’s press conference.
Andretti’s last two seasons have been sponsored by RC Cola, with Venom Energy adorning his car prior to that. This weekend, he’s in a Dr Pepper livery.
Despite myriad bad luck that has plagued his 2013 season, Andretti still enters this weekend’s season finale as defending MAVTV 500 polesitter and best of the team’s four cars in the championship standings, in fourth place.
“It’s one of the best teams, so why wouldn’t I want to be here,” Andretti said. “I’m honored they want me back. I wouldn’t be here if I didn’t earn it. We’re still the best one of the team. So long as I do my job it’s fine. I can taste the success for the first time in my career.”
While Andretti would not be pressed on how many cars the team would run next year – he joked “16” as he said he tries to stay out of these affairs – he did say the chemistry with current teammates Ryan Hunter-Reay and James Hinchcliffe is a net positive.
“I love those guys on and off the track,” he said. “They’re great guys; we know how to get the job done. We don’t see the games. I agree with where things are going. My focus is on the 25 and it has to be.”
- Team co-owned by Leonardo DiCaprio is 10th and last for FE 0
- Franchitti’s ride appears down to Briscoe or Tagliani vs. the field 1
- Jay Mohr’s skewering monologue stars at NASCAR banquet (VIDEO) 1
- Todt re-elected as FIA President, plans “ambitious” second term 1
- NASCAR’s Brian France looks back and looks ahead 1
- Eddie Gossage: “Foolish move” by F1 to go head-to-head with NASCAR at Texas (12)
- GP of America organizers issue statement on race postponement (10)
- IndyCar TV sked for 2014 released; 13 races to be shown on NBCSN (9)
- NASCAR Sprint Cup silly season update for 2014 (8)
- Mark Miles talks about the road ahead for IndyCar (8)