Oct 18, 2013, 7:00 PM EDT
Commentary legend Murray Walker has said that he feels sorry for three-time world champion Sebastian Vettel as the German driver faces a backlash from the fans after dominating Formula One in recent times.
Vettel’s success has widely been attributed to the pace of the Red Bull car, although teammate Mark Webber has failed to match the form of his teammate over the past three seasons. At the Canadian, Italian and Singapore Grands Prix, Vettel was greeted with boos and jeers upon taking to the top step of the podium, but Walker believes that he deserves better.
“I feel sorry for Vettel,” Walker explained to The Times of London. “He’s not getting the credit he deserves on account that he is in the best car. The less intelligent observers say anyone could do it in that car, but Mark Webber has not and he’s very good.
“Vettel is one of the greatest of all time.”
Vettel is set to clinch his fourth world championship at next weekend’s Indian Grand Prix, requiring a top-five finish at the race to secure an unassailable lead over closest-rival Fernando Alonso.
Walker is an icon in Formula One media, having commentated on the sport for over twenty-five years before retiring in 2001. However, he has remained a popular figure in the paddock ever since, celebrating his ninetieth birthday last week.
- Vettel suspects Mercedes of sandbagging during practice 1
- Mattiacci determined to turn around Ferrari’s failing season 4
- Hamilton recovers in FP2 to edge out Alonso and Rosberg 0
- Alonso fastest in first practice for Chinese GP 1
- Flashback to when a 67-second pit stop at the Indy 500 was fast vs. a modern-day F1 stop (video) 5
More from NASCAR America
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Former FIA prez Max Mosley rubbishes F1′s ongoing noise saga (6)
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Jimmie Johnson do it old school style in a pair of classic pickup trucks (VIDEOS) (5)