Oct 18, 2013, 1:16 PM EDT
Andretti Autosport – which has several other announcements looming in the next couple days regarding its 2014 IndyCar program – has announced E.J. Viso will not be in action in this weekend’s season finale, the MAVTV 500 at Auto Club Speedway.
The team said Viso was “ill” and its Firestone Indy Lights driver, Carlos Munoz, will be the replacement. Team officials confirmed the news just prior to first practice. Prior to that, Munoz has been listed in Viso’s car on IndyCar’s qualifying order sheet. Munoz finished second for the team at the Indianapolis 500 and also raced as a last-minute injury fill-in for Ryan Briscoe at Panther Racing in Toronto Race 2.
Viso has not made the trip to Fontana and had a partner appearance for Neiman Marcus earlier this week canceled, per the team.
— Neiman Marcus (@neimanmarcus) October 16, 2013
This morning in the paddock, Viso’s car still had his name listed above the driver roll hoop as Munoz was preparing to go out for Indy Lights practice.
More will follow on this story throughout the day as we learn more information.
- Red Bull tweaks Mercedes over attempt to increase ‘Fuelgate’ punishment 2
- NASCAR still humming along after last fall’s Richmond scandal 9
- Mercedes’ domination: Equivalent or different from Red Bull’s? 2
- Who is better off? 2013 vs 2014 F1 points comparison 0
- An anti-climactic race in China ahead of F1′s return to Europe 0
More from NASCAR America
- VIDEO: Vettel ignores team orders, telling team “tough luck” (20)
- Alonso’s doing it again – another year outperforming teammate, equipment (11)
- NASCAR still humming along after last fall’s Richmond scandal (9)
- In re-released interview, Brad Keselowski recalls how Rick Hendrick left him heartbroken (8)
- Maldonado brushes off crash and spin in practice (7)