Oct 19, 2013, 7:30 PM EDT
This year’s IZOD IndyCar Series finale, the MAVTV 500 (8 p.m. ET, NBCSN and NBC Sports Live Extra), has several hellos and several more goodbyes. Here’s a quick recap of what we either are or may be saying goodbye to:
THIS IS THE LAST TIME
- For title sponsor IZOD in IndyCar.
- For primary sponsor GoDaddy at Andretti Autosport.
- For Andretti Autosport with Chevrolet, and Chip Ganassi Racing with Honda.
- For Tony Kanaan with KV Racing Technology-SH, and Sebastien Bourdais with Dragon Racing.
THIS MAY BE THE LAST TIME, I DON’T KNOW…
- For AJ Allmendinger in IndyCar, with a full-time NASCAR Sprint Cup ride beginning in 2014.
- For Alex Tagliani at Target Chip Ganassi Racing, and possibly in IndyCar given his recent sports car dalliance with Ferrari.
- For JR Hildebrand (Barracuda Racing), Simona de Silvestro (KV Racing Technology), James Jakes (Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing) and Oriol Servia (Panther Racing) at their respective teams. All are free agents at the end of the year.
- For Venezuelan support, as it adorns the No. 5 Andretti Autosport Chevrolet driven tonight by Carlos Munoz, after a freeze has been put on funding.
- For National Guard as primary sponsor at Panther Racing, per a report by NBCSN insider and RACER.com’s Robin Miller.
- For HP as primary sponsor at Schmidt Hamilton Motorsports, per a report by RACER’s Marshall Pruett.
THIS IS A COMEBACK RACE IN INDYCAR
- For Allmendinger, who starts second, for the first time since Detroit.
- For Pippa Mann, for the first time since Pocono in July.
- For Tagliani and Carlos Munoz, for the first time since Toronto Race 2.
- For Hildebrand, for the first time since Sonoma.
- Graham Rahal’s Fontana win was long overdue, and a long time coming 0
- Report: Roger Penske intends to keep his ‘four aces’ in IndyCar 0
- Mario Andretti gets Jay Leno up to speed — and then some 1
- NHRA: Antron Brown looks to make Top Fuel fireworks this weekend 1
- MAVTV 500: Despite being nerve-racking to crazy, drivers glad safety won out 2
- WATCH: IndyCar’s frantic, thrilling MAVTV 500 to re-air at midnight ET on NBCSN 6
- Nelson Piquet Jr crowned first ever FIA Formula E champion in thrilling London finale 1