Oct 20, 2013, 4:00 PM EST
Pastor Maldonado has taken to Twitter to dismiss any rumors suggesting that he is unhappy at Williams or that there are any problems with his backing, assuring his followers that he will be in Formula One next season representing Venezuela.
Reports broke yesterday suggesting that an investigation into the disbursement of finance from the government into motorsport in Venezuela, casting doubt on Maldonado’s future due to his high amount of backing from state-owned oil giant PDVSA. However, Maldonado is not concerned.
“Rumours about my relationship with Williams and vice versa are completely false,” Maldonado explained in Spanish on Twitter. “There is a good relationship between driver and team. We have been working hard day and night to improve our performance and results.
“Unfortunately this is F1, there are good years and bad, I think we’re not the only ones who have gone through difficult times in terms of results. Similarly, we have shown that even after non-competitive performance we did not give up and won’t give up until the last race.”
Williams have struggled in 2013, scoring just a single point through Maldonado at the Hungarian Grand Prix back in July with the Venezuelan driver reportedly saying that he may as well not race instead of fighting outside of the top ten. However, he assured his fans that he would be in F1 next season despite lacking a secure drive.
“About my future: I will be in F1 next season proudly representing Venezuela,” he said. “Hopefully good news soon.”
In Japan last weekend, a feud broke out between Maldonado and teammate Valtteri Bottas after the Venezuelan driver made an aggressive overtake on the Finn on the final lap of the race, forcing him off the track but eventually gaining the position.
- Vettel calls double points idea “absurd” 0
- New F1 rules announced Monday create more questions than answers 1
- Cost cap, double points for Abu Dhabi part of new FIA regulation changes 9
- Team co-owned by Leonardo DiCaprio is 10th and last for FE 1
- Franchitti’s ride appears down to Briscoe or Tagliani vs. the field 2
- Eddie Gossage: “Foolish move” by F1 to go head-to-head with NASCAR at Texas (12)
- GP of America organizers issue statement on race postponement (10)
- IndyCar TV sked for 2014 released; 13 races to be shown on NBCSN (9)
- Cost cap, double points for Abu Dhabi part of new FIA regulation changes (9)
- NASCAR Sprint Cup silly season update for 2014 (8)