Oct 21, 2013, 12:08 PM EDT
According to authorities in Talladega County, Alabama, a carbon monoxide leak took the life of a man who was camping at Talladega Superspeedway during this weekend’s NASCAR events.
The man has since been identified as 46-year-old Craig Franklin Morgan of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. Friends found both Morgan and his wife, Jami Allison Morgan, unresponsive inside their motor home Saturday afternoon at Talladega.
Fox Sports’ Tom Jensen reports that according to a spokesperson at UAB Hospital in Birmingham, Mrs. Morgan remains unconscious and in critical condition there.
An Associated Press report from yesterday states that Deputy Coroner Larry Seals said the couple were likely using a gas stove for heat, and that there was a problem with the generator’s exhaust system.
This marks the second time this year a fan has died while camping out near the 2.66-mile track. Nicholas Bower, 28, of Villa Rica, Ga., disappeared on the stormy night of Sat., May 4 from a nearby campground, and after a 10-day search, his body was found in a creek about 1.5 miles from the facility.
Bower’s death was eventually ruled as an accidental drowning.
- Red Bull’s Horner says Mercedes could lap field twice in Oz 0
- Complete 2014 F1 on NBC Sports TV Times, Schedule 0
- Keselowski’s crew chief on cooldown issue: “It’s a tough spot” 0
- IndyCar’s “nearly” man, Justin Wilson, set to overachieve once more 0
- The ingredients are set for Graham Rahal’s big, breakout year 0
- Kurt Busch gives IndyCar chance to show they’ve learned lesson on promotion (10)
- F1 on NBC Sports TV, streaming schedule for 2014 Australian Grand Prix (7)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (7)
- NNS: Elliott’s car found too low, shock taken from Keselowski’s car (6)
- Busch news kicks off what may be a busy Tuesday for IndyCar (5)