Oct 21, 2013, 4:26 PM EDT
Daniil Kvyat will race for Toro Rosso in Formula One next year as the hotly-tipped Antonio Felix da Costa missed out on his chance to drive for the team.
Kvyat, a 19-year-old racer from Russia, will replace Daniel Ricciardo at the team next year.
“Ever since I began karting, I wanted to get to Formula One and now that wish will become reality next season,” said Kvyat.
“I had a brief taste of working with the Toro Rosso team, when I drove for them at the Silverstone test and I enjoyed the experience very much. The fact I am based in Italy and speak Italian will, I am sure, help me to become part of the team very quickly.”
Kvyat will partner Jean-Eric Vergne who is being retained by the team for a third season. Toro Rosso team principal Franz Tost said Kvyat “impressed our team with a strong performance and very informative technical feedback at the young driver test in Silverstone”.
“This suggests that the basic qualities from which he can progress are all in place,” Tost added. “Daniil can be sure that we will use all our experience of training youngsters to give him the best possible start to his Formula One career.”
Da Costa said on Twitter the news “hurts but it’s like this”, adding he was “happy for Daniil”.
- Cooler heads prevail as IndyCar drivers test at Texas (VIDEO) 0
- Jeff Gordon has bad news for his rivals: He’s thinking of racing for 10 more years 2
- NASCAR’s birthplace, the Streamline Hotel in Daytona Beach, to get significant makeover 0
- IndyCar remix: Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach (VIDEO) 0
- Ten with Townsend: Long Beach Debrief 2
More from NASCAR America
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Andretti drivers say GP of Long Beach should stay with IndyCar (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Jimmie Johnson do it old school style in a pair of classic pickup trucks (VIDEOS) (5)