Oct 22, 2013, 1:00 PM EST
The 2013 Chase for the Sprint Cup is coming down to its final battles, and this weekend brings the championship contenders to Martinsville Speedway, NASCAR’s oldest circuit and the shortest track in all of Sprint Cup (.526-mile).
Sunday’s running of the Goody’s Headache Relief Shot 500 powered by Kroger will mark the seventh race in the 2013 Chase, and the plot has thickened now that Jimmie Johnson has assumed control of the points lead.
Johnson has notched eight victories at this track, and another big day for him would mean trouble for the other Chasers that still have a legitimate shot at this point: Kenseth, Kyle Busch (-26 points), Kevin Harvick (-26 points), and Jeff Gordon (-36 points).
But based on past performance, Gordon could be up for a victory as well. His career success at Martinsville, like Johnson’s, is staggering. We’ll see if the two Hendrick Motorsports teammates are fighting each other for the win Sunday.
With a hat tip to NASCAR, here’s how each of the 13 Chase drivers have done over their careers at Martinsville:
Jimmie Johnson (Leader – 2,254 points)
· Eight wins, 16 Top-5s, 20 Top-10s
· Average Finish: 5.3 in 23 races
· Series-best Average Running Position of 5.9
*Series-high 7,849 Laps in the Top 15 (92.0%)
Matt Kenseth (second, -4 points)
· Three Top-5s, eight Top-10s
· Average Finish: 15.8 in 27 races
· Average Running Position: 16.9, 16th-best
Kyle Busch (third, -26 points)
· Eight Top-5s, nine Top-10s
· Average Finish: 16.1 in 17 races
· Average Running Position: 13.5, seventh-best
Kevin Harvick (fourth, -26 points)
· One win, three Top-5s, 10 Top-10s
· Average Finish: 16.6 in 24 races
· Average Running Position: 14.0, ninth-best
Jeff Gordon (fifth, -36 points)
· Seven wins, 26 Top-5s, 33 Top-10s
· Average Finish: 7.0 in 41 races
· Average Running Position: 6.2, second-best
*Series-high 968 Fastest Laps Run
*Series-high 600 Quality Passes
Dale Earnhardt Jr. (sixth, -52 points)
· 10 Top-5s, 14 Top-10s
· Average Finish: 13.4 in 27 races
· Average Running Position: 11.0, fourth-best
Greg Biffle (seventh, -53 points)
· Four Top-10s
· Average Finish: 20.8 in 21 races
· Average Running Position: 21.2, 21st-best
Clint Bowyer (eighth, -57 points)
· Three Top-5s, nine Top-10s
· Average Finish: 13.2 in 15 races
· Average Running Position: 13.0, sixth-best
Kurt Busch (ninth, -62 points)
· One win, two Top-5s, four Top-10s
· Average Finish: 21.7 in 26 races
· Average Running Position: 18.8, 19th-best
Carl Edwards (10th, -68 points)
· One Top-5, five Top-10s
· Average Finish: 16.1 in 18 races
· Average Running Position: 16.1, 14th-best
Ryan Newman (11th, -72 points)
· One win, seven Top-5s, 11 Top-10s
· Average Finish: 14.3 in 23 races
· Average Running Position: 14.8, 10th-best
Joey Logano (12th, -74 points)
· One Top-5, two Top-10s
· Average Finish: 16.1 in nine races
· Average Running Position: 17.8, 18th-best
Kasey Kahne (13th, -101 points)
· Three Top-5s, four top 10s; one pole
· Average finish: 19.8 in 19 races
· Average Running Position: 20.1, 20th-best
Mar 7, 2014, 4:20 PM EST
Crew chief Rodney Childers, driver Casey Mears, and the impact of the new rules package at Las Vegas are all part of today’s show.
Mar 7, 2014, 4:13 PM EST
Kurt Busch’s quest to become the first NASCAR driver in a decade to attempt the “Double” – racing in the Indianapolis 500 on May 25, and then flying to Charlotte to compete in that evening’s Coca-Cola 600 – just became even more challenging.
Mar 7, 2014, 3:47 PM EST
Edwards and his Roush Fenway teammates pick up the pace after a slow Thursday test.
Mar 7, 2014, 3:43 PM EST
For the next month or so, don’t be surprised if Greg Biffle starts to act a little like Dracula — a good Dracula, mind you.
Mar 7, 2014, 3:30 PM EST
With a full-season ride in the NASCAR Euro Series, 33-year-old Mathias Lauda is set to add to his eclectic resume.
Mar 7, 2014, 3:12 PM EST
If you’re fortunate enough to spend any length of time around him, you’ll quickly find Matt Kenseth has a very dry wit. Think of a cross between comedians Steven Wright and the late George Carlin – just not so over-the-top as Carlin was.
Mar 7, 2014, 3:00 PM EST
SBJ report says Verizon will back series for 10 years.
Mar 7, 2014, 2:30 PM EST
“I’m sure there’s going to be more tension…But that’s what it’s all about. That’s why these drivers and teams are the best in the world.” – Graham Rahal
Mar 7, 2014, 2:00 PM EST
Qualifying format change falls in line with other moves made by IMS/INDYCAR the last several months.
Mar 7, 2014, 1:30 PM EST
Out go Korea and India, in come Austria and Russia, changes made to the running order, a different season finale – and a new night race!
Mar 7, 2014, 1:00 PM EST
With all but two teams making changes to their line-up and three new rookies, the F1 grid is looking very different in 2014.
Mar 7, 2014, 12:52 PM EST
TV times and talent for Indy Lights, Pro Mazda and USF2000 in 2014.
Mar 7, 2014, 12:00 PM EST
What are going to be the main themes for the new Formula 1 season? Be it noses, double points, Bernie or Kimi, it promises to be an exciting one.
Mar 7, 2014, 11:00 AM EST
F1 tire supplier confirms eight testing days with teams in 2014, thus avoiding the ‘testgate’ scandal of 2013.
Mar 7, 2014, 10:37 AM EST
Two attempts for Indy qualifying required: one to get in, one to set starting order.
Mar 7, 2014, 10:00 AM EST
First target for Hulkenberg is to make it past the first lap at Albert Park, having failed to do so in three attempts.
Mar 7, 2014, 8:30 AM EST
CEO refuses to accept knock-down price for title sponsorship following McLaren’s worst season since 1980.
Mar 7, 2014, 7:00 AM EST
No change in the F1 legend’s condition as he remains in a medically-induced coma.
Mar 6, 2014, 9:45 PM EST
Phoenix winner only driver north of 190mph in Las Vegas test.
Mar 6, 2014, 8:00 PM EST
BHA rookie admits slight surprise in taking the reins of team’s No. 98 entry.
- Instead of significant improvement, 2014 starting off the way 2013 ended for Danica Patrick (10)
- Kurt Busch gives IndyCar chance to show they’ve learned lesson on promotion (10)
- Alonso discovers an F1 take on Ellen’s Oscar “Selfie” (6)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (6)
- UPDATED: FIA decision on Haas, new F1 teams delayed (5)