Oct 22, 2013, 11:15 AM EDT
Richard Petty Motorsports has confirmed today that Todd Parrott, crew chief for the No. 43 RPM Ford Fusion of driver Aric Almirola, has been let go after he was suspended indefinitely by NASCAR last week for violating the sport’s substance abuse policy.
Greg Ebert, car chief for the No. 43 team, will now serve as the team’s interim crew chief through the remainder of the 2013 Sprint Cup season. Ebert has been in his car chief role at RPM for the last two seasons.
“We are confident in Greg’s leadership abilities and we will give him the resources he needs to be successful,” RPM vice president of operations/competition Sammy Johns said in a statement. “He is very familiar with our race program and gives us a more seamless transition. More importantly, he gives Aric the best opportunity to finish the season strong.”
Johns took on crew chief duty for the No. 43 this weekend at Talladega Superspeedway, where Almirola finished 22nd in Sunday’s Camping World RV Sales 500 after starting from the pole via posting the fastest speed in first practice (qualifying was rained out on Saturday).
As for Parrott and his future, FoxSports.com’s Lee Spencer is reporting via Twitter that NASCAR has confirmed that the championship-winning crew chief has been accepted in the sport’s Road to Recovery program.
Parrott won the 1999 Winston Cup (now Sprint Cup) title with Dale Jarrett at Robert Yates Racing, and has collected 31 Cup victories as a crew chief over his career.
- Power steals final pole of IndyCar’s 2015 season with new track record at Sonoma 2
- Oriol Servia reflects on his friend Justin Wilson, as he races No. 25 car at Sonoma (VIDEO) 0
- IndyCar’s championship contenders ready their thoughts, minds for Sonoma finale 1
- Here are your NBCSN TV times, weekend coverage plan for IndyCar’s Sonoma season finale 0
- Preview: IndyCar will race to honor Wilson, and to close its season, at Sonoma 1
- Andretti to field No. 25 car at Sonoma; Oriol Servia to drive Wilson tribute car 4
- IndyCars cross the Golden Gate Bridge; pay tribute to Justin Wilson (PHOTOS, VIDEO) 5