Fears over Indian Grand Prix future

Oct 23, 2013, 10:00 AM EST

AUTO-PRIX-IND-F1

The Indian Grand Prix may struggle to find its way back onto the F1 calendar following its absence from the 2014 schedule.

That’s the view of Vicky Chandhok (pictured with Bernie Ecclestone), president of the Federation of Motor Sport Clubs of India and father of former F1 driver Karun Chandhok.

“If it doesn’t come back in 2015, it may never come back at all,” he warned ahead of this weekend’s race. “That is my concern. Once you lose a race it can be gone for ever.”

India held its first round of the world championship in 2009. However the race has been dogged by bureaucratic wrangles. In the run-up to this year’s race the regional government in Uttar Pradesh began moves to remove the race’s tax-exempt status.

Chandhok said rising costs associated with the race was part of the reason why it isn’t on the calendar for next year – and might not be again.

“First, Bernie wanted to switch the race to March but there was no way we could stage two races in five months,” he said. “Second, everything has become a lot more expensive.”

India may find it difficult to reclaim a place on an increasingly congested calendar. Even without its race there are 21 events listed on the 2014 schedule, including new events in Russia and New Jersey.

1. apexassassin - Oct 23, 2013 at 3:52 PM

Personally I don’t know anyone who is sad to see this race go away.

Fun track to drive on racing sims though, but not very challenging.

• indycarseries500 - Oct 23, 2013 at 5:02 PM

Same here but I don’t personally know Vijay Mallya, the Chandhoks, Narain Karthikeyan or any Indian F1 fans/sponsors.

• apexassassin - Oct 25, 2013 at 12:41 AM

Too bad. The Indians I know are great people, once you get usd to their passion for cricket, lol. Huge race fans and honestly, it’s not their fault their government is fucked – I’d say the same about many countries, ours included.

2. captaingroovy - Oct 24, 2013 at 3:09 PM

I cannot comment on the track as a gamer but as a race fan I find the track completely uninspiring besides who likes a straightaway that you cannot see the end to because of smog it can stay off the schedule as far as I am concerned but I know that if sponsors can come up with the cash Bernie will have them racing there again. The only possible concern is how the canceling the race will effect the Sahara Force India Team.

• apexassassin - Oct 25, 2013 at 12:40 AM

Tilke blames the FIA/FOM and the drivers and fans blame Tilke… it’s a joke. Too bad the fans suffer. I mean how hard is it to design a circuit with multiple points where overtaking is possible?

Video from NASCAR America