Oct 24, 2013, 5:40 PM EST
Red Bull youngster Daniil Kvyat is set to take part in two practice sessions in the remaining four races of the F1 season ahead of his promotion to a full-time seat with Scuderia Toro Rosso next season.
Kvyat’s announcement on Monday came as something of a surprise to the Formula One world after fellow Red Bull junior Antonio Felix da Costa had been considered the obvious replacement for Daniel Ricciardo, with Carlos Sainz Jr. another consideration. However, following an impressive showing in GP3 this season, nineteen-year-old Kvyat has done enough to earn himself a spot on the grid for next season, driving alongside Jean-Eric Vergne at Toro Rosso.
The Russian will not take part in any sessions for Toro Rosso until his GP3 campaign finishes in Abu Dhabi. He heads into the final two rounds trailing championship leader Facu Regalia by just seven points, meaning that he could become the second GP3 champion to reach F1 following Valtteri Bottas’ debut at the beginning of the season.
However, Kvyat will enjoy his first official running at a grand prix weekend at the United States Grand Prix in November, stepping in for either Daniel Ricciardo or Jean-Eric Vergne. This will then be followed by another run-out at the final round of the season in Brazil as he looks to secure his superlicense ahead of his debut at the 2014 Australian Grand Prix.
- Rick Allen named lead NASCAR announcer for NBC Sports 1
- GP of America organizers issue statement on race postponement 10
- 2014 F1 schedule finalized without New Jersey, Mexico, and Korea 0
- Jeff Burton joins NBC Sports as NASCAR analyst 2
- IndyCar TV sked for 2014 released; 13 races to be shown on NBCSN 6
- GP of America organizers issue statement on race postponement (10)
- Stewart: There’s “a lot of potential” for Danica Patrick (7)
- Eddie Gossage: “Foolish move” by F1 to go head-to-head with NASCAR at Texas (7)
- FIA considering pole trophy and permanent numbers (6)
- “The Fast and the Furious” star Paul Walker, 40, dies in car crash (UPDATED) (6)