Oct 24, 2013, 5:40 PM EDT
Red Bull youngster Daniil Kvyat is set to take part in two practice sessions in the remaining four races of the F1 season ahead of his promotion to a full-time seat with Scuderia Toro Rosso next season.
Kvyat’s announcement on Monday came as something of a surprise to the Formula One world after fellow Red Bull junior Antonio Felix da Costa had been considered the obvious replacement for Daniel Ricciardo, with Carlos Sainz Jr. another consideration. However, following an impressive showing in GP3 this season, nineteen-year-old Kvyat has done enough to earn himself a spot on the grid for next season, driving alongside Jean-Eric Vergne at Toro Rosso.
The Russian will not take part in any sessions for Toro Rosso until his GP3 campaign finishes in Abu Dhabi. He heads into the final two rounds trailing championship leader Facu Regalia by just seven points, meaning that he could become the second GP3 champion to reach F1 following Valtteri Bottas’ debut at the beginning of the season.
However, Kvyat will enjoy his first official running at a grand prix weekend at the United States Grand Prix in November, stepping in for either Daniel Ricciardo or Jean-Eric Vergne. This will then be followed by another run-out at the final round of the season in Brazil as he looks to secure his superlicense ahead of his debut at the 2014 Australian Grand Prix.
- Long Beach weekend atmosphere thrills Roger Daltrey, as he promotes Teen Cancer America 0
- Cooler heads prevail as IndyCar drivers test at Texas (VIDEO) 0
- Jeff Gordon has bad news for his rivals: He’s thinking of racing for 10 more years 2
- NASCAR’s birthplace, the Streamline Hotel in Daytona Beach, to get significant makeover 0
- IndyCar remix: Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach (VIDEO) 0
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Andretti drivers say GP of Long Beach should stay with IndyCar (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Jimmie Johnson do it old school style in a pair of classic pickup trucks (VIDEOS) (5)