Oct 25, 2013, 6:11 AM EST
Sebastian Vettel and Red Bull have continued to dominate practice for the Indian Grand Prix by recording their second one-two finish in as many sessions on Friday with the German driver leading the way once again.
Vettel bounced back from a KERS failure at the beginning of the session to record a fastest time of 1:25.722 which was good enough to see him finish P1 ahead of teammate Mark Webber by just under three-tenths of a second.
Once again, the challenge was left with Lotus and Mercedes to try and stop the defending world champions from heading the field, but Romain Grosjean’s best effort was only good enough to give him third place ahead of Lewis Hamilton. Fernando Alonso returned to proceedings after a gearbox problem in FP1, finishing fifth ahead of Mercedes’ Nico Rosberg, current teammate Felipe Massa and future teammate Kimi Raikkonen. However, the Finn struggled for pace throughout the session, spinning his car early on before complaining about the state of his tires towards the end of FP2. McLaren got both cars into the top ten once again with Sergio Perez finishing ninth ahead of Jenson Button.
The session proved to be a difficult one for Williams as Pastor Maldonado lost a wheel nut heading into the final sector, forcing him to pull over at pit entry and abandon his car. After the team was fined at Suzuka for failing to secure its tires properly, this will certainly be a cause of concern for the FIA who will look into the matter.
At the front though, it seems increasingly likely that Red Bull will be celebrating a third consecutive victory at the Buddh International Circuit this weekend, but Mark Webber’s pace suggests that he could pose a serious challenge to his teammate on Sunday.
- Fernando Alonso ruled out of Australian Grand Prix 1
- Mercedes F1: Race to Repeat: Teaser clips and preview (VIDEO) 0
- F1, IndyCar seasons finally premiere in 2015’s version of March madness 1
- F1: Barcelona second test wrap, and 2015 test times cumulative roundup 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son Mick to race in ADAC F4 championship this season 3
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Sunday 1
- F1 pre-season testing ends with Bottas fastest for Williams 1