Oct 26, 2013, 10:30 AM EDT
Fernando Alonso has said that deciding on a strategy for the final part of qualifying today in India was difficult, and that he will not know whether or not it was the right call until after the race tomorrow at Buddh International Circuit.
The Ferrari driver could only qualify in eighth place, but he did run on the medium compound tire in the final stage of qualifying which meant that he could not challenge the front-runners who used the quicker soft tire. However, this decision will allow Alonso to go further in the race tomorrow before making his first pit stop.
“Before qualifying we looked at what might be the best strategy and it was very difficult to choose between two possibilities of equal worth,” Alonso explained. “It’s absolutely impossible to say how it will go tomorrow. Only after the chequered flag will we know which was the right choice.”
Ferrari, like Red Bull, opted to put their drivers on a split strategy, and Alonso believes that this will ensure the team a good haul of points on Sunday.
“The good thing about this decision is that, in putting two cars in the race on different strategies, at least one of us, me or Felipe, should be in a position to help the team in its goal of finishing second in the constructors’ world championship, which is our priority now,” the Spaniard explained.
Should Sebastian Vettel fail to finish in the top five tomorrow, Alonso must finish in the top two to keep the championship race alive heading to the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix next weekend.
- Hamilton rules in Singapore to re-take championship lead as Rosberg retires 0
- Rosberg forced to retire in Singapore after electrical glitch 0
- Brendan Gaughan takes lead with 6 laps to go, wins Nationwide at Kentucky 0
- 16-year-old Cole Custer becomes youngest-ever winner of NASCAR national series race 1
- F1 Qualifying Analysis: Missed opportunities allow Hamilton to rule again 0
- Tyler Clary hopes to go from Olympic gold medal swimmer to NASCAR driver 1
- Hamilton snatches Singapore pole away from Rosberg 0