Oct 26, 2013, 1:07 PM EST
Seeking to claim his first Sprint Cup win on NASCAR’s shortest track, Dale Earnhardt Jr. led this morning’s final practice at Martinsville Speedway for Sunday’s Goody’s Headache Relief Shot 500 powered by Kroger with a lap of 19.415 seconds (97.533 miles per hour).
Earnhardt qualified 12th yesterday for Sunday’s race, but may have a pace quick enough to perhaps have a say in the outcome. Earlier, in the first practice session today, he was third-fastest behind Joey Logano and Kyle Busch.
“Driver 88″ is currently the “best of the rest” in the 2013 Chase for the Sprint Cup, albeit by a slim margin. He sits sixth in points (52 points behind leader Jimmie Johnson, 18 behind fifth-place Jeff Gordon), but only holds a one-point edge on seventh-place Greg Biffle and a five-point edge on eighth-place Clint Bowyer.
Bowyer was second on the “Happy Hour” time sheets behind Earnhardt, posting a lap at 97.133 mph. Kasey Kahne was third in the session (97.068 mph), followed by Kyle Busch (97.038 mph) in fourth, and Matt Kenseth (97.033 mph) in fifth.
Chase leader Jimmie Johnson, currently holding a four-point lead over Kenseth with four races remaining in the season, was sixth-fastest (97.023 mph). Pole sitter Denny Hamlin was 17th in the session (96.489 mph).
- Vettel calls double points idea “absurd” 0
- New F1 rules announced Monday create more questions than answers 1
- Cost cap, double points for Abu Dhabi part of new FIA regulation changes 9
- Team co-owned by Leonardo DiCaprio is 10th and last for FE 1
- Franchitti’s ride appears down to Briscoe or Tagliani vs. the field 2
- Eddie Gossage: “Foolish move” by F1 to go head-to-head with NASCAR at Texas (12)
- GP of America organizers issue statement on race postponement (10)
- IndyCar TV sked for 2014 released; 13 races to be shown on NBCSN (9)
- Cost cap, double points for Abu Dhabi part of new FIA regulation changes (9)
- NASCAR Sprint Cup silly season update for 2014 (8)