Oct 26, 2013, 1:07 PM EDT
Seeking to claim his first Sprint Cup win on NASCAR’s shortest track, Dale Earnhardt Jr. led this morning’s final practice at Martinsville Speedway for Sunday’s Goody’s Headache Relief Shot 500 powered by Kroger with a lap of 19.415 seconds (97.533 miles per hour).
Earnhardt qualified 12th yesterday for Sunday’s race, but may have a pace quick enough to perhaps have a say in the outcome. Earlier, in the first practice session today, he was third-fastest behind Joey Logano and Kyle Busch.
“Driver 88″ is currently the “best of the rest” in the 2013 Chase for the Sprint Cup, albeit by a slim margin. He sits sixth in points (52 points behind leader Jimmie Johnson, 18 behind fifth-place Jeff Gordon), but only holds a one-point edge on seventh-place Greg Biffle and a five-point edge on eighth-place Clint Bowyer.
Bowyer was second on the “Happy Hour” time sheets behind Earnhardt, posting a lap at 97.133 mph. Kasey Kahne was third in the session (97.068 mph), followed by Kyle Busch (97.038 mph) in fourth, and Matt Kenseth (97.033 mph) in fifth.
Chase leader Jimmie Johnson, currently holding a four-point lead over Kenseth with four races remaining in the season, was sixth-fastest (97.023 mph). Pole sitter Denny Hamlin was 17th in the session (96.489 mph).
- As NHRA closes in on 100 wins by female racers, it all started with one of the greatest, Shirley Muldowney 0
- Brad Keselowski: Changes overdue to Sprint Cup schedule; offers his ideas 2
- Richard Petty to return at Richmond, first race since wife Lynda’s death 1
- NASCAR VP: 2015 Sprint Cup engine package to be revealed before All-Star Race 0
- Too much, too fast, too soon: The sad saga of Swan Racing 0
More from NASCAR America
- VIDEO: Vettel ignores team orders, telling team “tough luck” (20)
- Alonso’s doing it again – another year outperforming teammate, equipment (13)
- NASCAR still humming along after last fall’s Richmond scandal (9)
- In re-released interview, Brad Keselowski recalls how Rick Hendrick left him heartbroken (8)
- Maldonado brushes off crash and spin in practice (7)