Oct 26, 2013, 2:00 PM EDT
With the fight for second in the Formula One constructors’ championship heating up between his Mercedes squad and Ferrari, Lewis Hamilton is set to do all he can to help the Silver Arrows take the battle.
The former World Champion will line up third for tomorrow’s Airtel Indian Grand Prix (LIVE, 5 a.m. ET on NBCSN/NBC Sports Live Extra) after posting a qualifying lap of 1 minute, 24.941 seconds – putting him right behind the front row of pole sitter Sebastian Vettel and Mercedes teammate Nico Rosberg.
Hamilton had been happy with his efforts in Friday practice and remained in the same mindset after his qualifying run this morning.
“Nico did a great job – he’s been strong all weekend – and on my side, I’ve struggled a little bit through this weekend,” Hamilton said after qualifying.
“I struggled a little bit with something different on the car this weekend which Nico had had experience of seeing maybe in the past. I came to grips with it really quite quickly at the end and I’m really happy with the result and the lap time that I was able to get.”
As for what Sunday will bring, Hamilton reckoned that differing tire strategies will play a major role in how the race goes off.
“We’ll hope for a good start, get rid of the softs early and then focus on pushing as hard as we can on the primes,” he said.
- Vettel suspects Mercedes of sandbagging during practice 1
- Mattiacci determined to turn around Ferrari’s failing season 4
- Hamilton recovers in FP2 to edge out Alonso and Rosberg 0
- Alonso fastest in first practice for Chinese GP 1
- Flashback to when a 67-second pit stop at the Indy 500 was fast vs. a modern-day F1 stop (video) 4
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Andretti drivers say GP of Long Beach should stay with IndyCar (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Former FIA prez Max Mosley rubbishes F1′s ongoing noise saga (6)