Oct 26, 2013, 2:00 PM EDT
With the fight for second in the Formula One constructors’ championship heating up between his Mercedes squad and Ferrari, Lewis Hamilton is set to do all he can to help the Silver Arrows take the battle.
The former World Champion will line up third for tomorrow’s Airtel Indian Grand Prix (LIVE, 5 a.m. ET on NBCSN/NBC Sports Live Extra) after posting a qualifying lap of 1 minute, 24.941 seconds – putting him right behind the front row of pole sitter Sebastian Vettel and Mercedes teammate Nico Rosberg.
Hamilton had been happy with his efforts in Friday practice and remained in the same mindset after his qualifying run this morning.
“Nico did a great job – he’s been strong all weekend – and on my side, I’ve struggled a little bit through this weekend,” Hamilton said after qualifying.
“I struggled a little bit with something different on the car this weekend which Nico had had experience of seeing maybe in the past. I came to grips with it really quite quickly at the end and I’m really happy with the result and the lap time that I was able to get.”
As for what Sunday will bring, Hamilton reckoned that differing tire strategies will play a major role in how the race goes off.
“We’ll hope for a good start, get rid of the softs early and then focus on pushing as hard as we can on the primes,” he said.
- Administrator takes over running of Caterham F1 Team 0
- Remembering the Hendrick Motorsports airplane tragedy: 10 years later, it still seems like just yesterday 2
- Talladega mystery: Did missing woman even make it to NASCAR race? Second fan to disappear in 18 months 5
- WATCH LIVE: NASCAR AMERICA at 5 p.m. ET for Martinsville outlook 0
- Caterham could miss Austin as crisis deepens at Leafield 2
- NHRA stunner: Jimmy Prock out as John Force’s crew chief 10
- Kurt Busch and Danica Patrick will swap crews at Stewart-Haas (UPDATED) 14