Oct 27, 2013, 8:30 AM EDT
Fernando Alonso has congratulated newly-crowned Formula One world champion Sebastian Vettel on winning his fourth consecutive title as the Spaniard endured a disastrous race in India today.
Alonso started in eighth on the medium compound tire, but contact with Mark Webber at the beginning of the race forced him to pit early thus compromising his strategy. Further to that, a bit of damage on the front of the car saw him struggle for pace and eventually finish the race in eleventh place.
The Spaniard took to Twitter, saying: “Congratulations to Sebastian for the championship! We will improve for next year! Now, max fight for second place and prepare for 2014!!
“Difficult race from the first lap! The good thing: in 5 days we sit in the car again in Abu Dhabi and the action is back!!”
Ferrari’s day was not a total disaster though as Felipe Massa performed admirably to lead the race after Vettel’s early stop, and the Brazilian driver eventually came home in fourth place. This result also sees Ferrari equal McLaren’s record of sixty-four consecutive point-scoring races, although the team has now dropped to third in the constructors’ championship behind Mercedes.
Alonso will now be turning his attention to securing second place in both the drivers’ and constructors’ championship. He currently leads Kimi Raikkonen by twenty-four points heading to next weekend’s Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, but the Spaniard will undoubtedly be disappointed to have missed out on the world championship once again.
Congratulations to Sebastian for the championship! We will improve for next year ..! Now, max fight for second place and prepare the 2014!!
— Fernando Alonso (@alo_oficial) October 27, 2013
- Practice setbacks leave Hamilton “quite a bit off” in Malaysia (VIDEO) 0
- Verizon IndyCar Series 2015 preseason content roundup 0
- Hamilton hits back by topping second practice in Malaysia 0
- Rosberg quickest in Malaysia FP1 as Hamilton hits trouble 1
- Now IndyCar’s champion, Will Power’s mindset hasn’t changed heading into 2015 0
- Alonso moves to clear up testing crash conspiracy theories 2
- NHRA Funny Car driver Cruz Pedregon trades seats for a day with NASCAR counterpart Joey Logano 2