Oct 27, 2013, 9:23 PM EST
Believing that Jimmie Johnson had made contact with him during the race and caused his car’s rear bumper cover to come apart, Roush Fenway Racing’s Greg Biffle confronted the five-time Sprint Cup champion after today’s race at Martinsville Speedway.
Biffle’s bumper cover was spotted flapping in the air and he was eventually forced to go to pit road while running seventh. The No. 16 RFR team quickly tore off the bumper, but the sizable loss of track position put Biffle in catch-up mode for the remainder of the afternoon.
He would rally to finish ninth, but that didn’t keep him from having some words with Johnson in the pits. Television cameras caught the brief exchange, which had Biffle drop some expletives while warning Johnson: “You better watch it.”
“If he’s running for the title, he better not tear my rear bumper cover off because that will be the last race he finishes,” Biffle said of Johnson according to Bob Pockrass of The Sporting News.
Johnson admitted that he made contact with Biffle during the race, but according to NASCAR.com’s Kenny Bruce, it was actually Dale Earnhardt Jr. who ran into Biffle and initially caused the cover to become dislodged. Eventually, the cover came loose again, causing Biffle to have to pit.
Biffle would later apologize on Twitter for his actions against Johnson, who seemed to take the incident in stride at the time.
“[For] about a five-lap window, I was trying to get by him and I was inside him two or three times,” Johnson said according to Bruce. “We made contact and I didn’t quite understand why he was down [here] like he just did, but we’ll get it sorted out.
“Short-track racing at its finest – things get heated up and there it was right there…I was surprised he was still that [ticked] but he came down and was obviously pretty mad.”
- Fernando Alonso ruled out of Australian Grand Prix 0
- Mercedes F1: Race to Repeat: Teaser clips and preview (VIDEO) 0
- F1, IndyCar seasons finally premiere in 2015’s version of March madness 0
- F1: Barcelona second test wrap, and 2015 test times cumulative roundup 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son Mick to race in ADAC F4 championship this season 3
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Sunday 1
- F1 pre-season testing ends with Bottas fastest for Williams 1