Oct 27, 2013, 8:08 PM EDT
Kevin Harvick was not one of the dominant drivers today at Martinsville Speedway, but his sixth-place finish in the Goody’s Headache Relief Shot 500 powered by Kroger enabled him to keep sight of those ahead of him in the Chase for the Sprint Cup.
This afternoon’s solid effort came after Harvick apologized for his comments following yesterday’s Camping World Truck Series race, which saw him feud extensively with Ty Dillon and then criticize Ty and his older brother, Austin – both of them grandsons of Harvick’s team owner, Richard Childress.
Like many of the other cars today at Martinsville, Harvick’s No. 29 Richard Childress Racing Chevrolet took some damage in the 500-lap race. In particular, a radiator leak gave him and his team some consternation.
“[The car's] all beat-up and it’s leaking water, so we didn’t have any water pressure there for about 150 laps, so it was a little bit nerve-wracking,” Harvick said. “Luckily, it was a small hole. We battled all day and had a decent day and had a decent car. They adjusted for the damage and had the car really good there at the end and we lived to fight another day.”
Harvick also had a run-in with Ryan Newman on Lap 318 that sent the latter spinning out of sixth place at the time and crashing into the Turn 1 wall. Newman was forced to the garage for major repairs, losing around 60 laps in the process (he would finish 38th).
“I tried to shoot in a gap there and just barely clipped the right rear of his car,” said Harvick, who apologized for his role in the incident. “I know it doesn’t make his day any better.”
As for what lies ahead in the championship – namely, Texas, Phoenix and Homestead-Miami, the final three tracks left on the schedule – he was succinct.
“Good tracks in three weeks,” he said. “We just have to do what we have to do.”
Video from NASCAR America
- Tony Stewart’s return to NASCAR may be one of hardest things he’s ever done 0
- BREAKING NEWS: Tony Stewart to return to race at Atlanta this weekend 16
- Team Penske on verge of ending 8-year IndyCar title drought 0
- IndyCar title quest continues for Helio Castroneves 0
- Could Tony Stewart return to race this weekend at Atlanta? 15
- Report: McLaren trying for Vettel or Alonso 8
- NASCAR schedule reveals some potential 2015 IndyCar schedule hints; Texas IndyCar returns 2