Oct 27, 2013, 11:27 PM EDT
NHRA legend John Force earned his 16th Mello Yello Drag Racing Series Funny Car title in style today at the Toyota Nationals in Las Vegas, besting his daughter, Courtney Force, in the final round with a 4.06-second run (310.63 mph) to Courtney’s 4.08.
With the Vegas victory, John Force is now on a streak of three consecutive event wins going into next week’s season finale at Pomona, California. And after winning yet another Funny Car crown, the 64-year-old is showing no signs of slowing down.
“I felt 16 after I won, but I don’t want to end my career at 16 [championships],” he said according to Candida Benson of National Dragster. “I want to end it at 17 at least, so I’m going to be around for a while. You’re stuck with me because I truly do love it. The truth is if I ever had to win, this is a pretty good time to win because [sponsorship] deals need to be made next year, and I’ll be the champ while we’re making those deals.
“I love the job. I live in the gym. There ain’t nothing wrong with me. Nobody said you’ve got to quit racing. I’m going to keep doing it because it’s what I like to do.”
Also claiming an NHRA season title today in Vegas was Matt Smith, who claimed his second career Pro Stock Motorcycle championship with a final-round triumph over Jerry Savoie via a 6.991-second run (192.08 mph).
It also marked a pair of championships for the Smith family this fall, as Matt’s father, Rickie, claimed the NHRA Pro Mod Drag Racing Series title back in September.
Antron Brown and Shane Gray took top Vegas honors in Top Fuel and Pro Stock, respectively.
Video from NASCAR America
- Lotterer: “F1 (racing) isn’t what it used to be anymore” 0
- Joey Logano avoids “yellow fever,” wins at N.H. to advance in Chase 3
- Wreck involves several Chase drivers; Keselowski spins, suffers minor damage 1
- Rosberg reflects on a tough day in Singapore (VIDEO) 2
- Reports: 2015 Sprint Cup rules package expected to be released on Tuesday 2
- Hamilton rules in Singapore to re-take championship lead as Rosberg retires 1
- Rosberg forced to retire in Singapore after electrical glitch 2