Oct 28, 2013, 1:00 PM EST
Red Bull team principal Christian Horner had much to celebrate on Sunday.
His team, still only in its ninth year of competition, won the constructors’ championship for the fourth time. And Sebastian Vettel had romped to an emphatic win which gave him a fourth consecutive drivers’ championship.
But it wasn’t quite the perfect result for the team. With over half the race gone they looked on course for a one-two finish when Mark Webber hit trouble.
“The most disappointing thing today was obviously the failure on Mark’s car when we were set for a one-two finish,” said Horner. “We had a sudden alternator failure, but sometimes that’s racing.”
“It was just desperately disappointing to happen while we were on course to achieve a one-two finish.”
Red Bull had a series of alternator failures last year which caused several retirements and cost Sebastian Vettel a likely win in the European Grand Prix. Since then the team has changed its supplier for the part.
“Obviously I’m pretty disappointed with today’s race, but there is not much I can do, the alternator went wrong with very short notice so we had to stop straight away,” said Webber.
“It’s tough because we did a lot of things right this weekend, but I’ve got a smile on my face as I could not have done any more.”
Webber added his congratulations to Vettel and the rest of the team: “Well done to Seb on his championship and also to all the team; to get a fourth title is amazing.”
“It’s been a great job by the whole team to achieve the title four years on the trot and it has once again set itself as the benchmark for the others.”
- Cost cap, double points for Abu Dhabi part of new FIA regulation changes 9
- Team co-owned by Leonardo DiCaprio is 10th and last for FE 1
- Franchitti’s ride appears down to Briscoe or Tagliani vs. the field 2
- Jay Mohr’s skewering monologue stars at NASCAR banquet (VIDEO) 1
- Todt re-elected as FIA President, plans “ambitious” second term 1
- Eddie Gossage: “Foolish move” by F1 to go head-to-head with NASCAR at Texas (12)
- GP of America organizers issue statement on race postponement (10)
- IndyCar TV sked for 2014 released; 13 races to be shown on NBCSN (9)
- Cost cap, double points for Abu Dhabi part of new FIA regulation changes (9)
- NASCAR Sprint Cup silly season update for 2014 (8)