Man attempts to rob IndyCar’s Hildebrand with fake gun

Oct 28, 2013, 11:46 PM EDT

Indianapolis 500 - Practice Getty Images

In an incident that took place Monday night in Indianapolis, a man tried to hold up IndyCar Series driver J.R. Hildebrand with a fake gun.

A story from Indianapolis’ WXIN-TV relays information from the official incident report, which had Hildebrand tell Indianapolis Metropolitan police that he was watching a video on his phone and walking his dog when a man approached him from behind with the gun.

The man told Hildebrand, “Drop it! Give it to me!” However, after turning around to look at him, Hildebrand then ignored his commands after deducing that the pistol he had was a fake. He then told the potential thief to get lost and the man promptly ran away.

According to WXIN, the police searched the vicinity for the man upon arriving at the scene but couldn’t find him. As for Hildebrand, he came away unscathed from the encounter, which he sarcastically dubbed “a delightful experience” on his Twitter page. He later added:

This isn’t the first time this year that Hildebrand has had to deal with a robbery issue. Back in July, he lost a substantial amount of racing gear and electronics when his car was broken into in downtown Seattle. He was in town at the time to attend a Formula Drift event in nearby Monroe, Washington.

Hildebrand competed in seven IndyCar races this season for Panther Racing and Barracuda Racing. Panther terminated its contract with him following the Indianapolis 500.

1. apexassassin - Oct 29, 2013 at 10:52 AM

Not in Indy, the “Paris of the MidWest”? :P :P :P

Frankly he’s lucky he got assaulted by the only thug in Indy using a fake gun!

• indycarseries500 - Oct 29, 2013 at 1:12 PM

Yeah…this kind of stuff only happens in Indianapolis, there’s no thugs at all in Chicago, Paris, London, New York, Austin, LA, Vegas, etc.

Seriously what is your problem with Indy? I’ve most likely been there way more than you have and I’ve only had pleasant experiences.

• apexassassin - Oct 30, 2013 at 9:46 PM

Lol, you have lower standards. Much lower, obviously. Then again, Country Buffet and Waffle House are the same everywhere aren’t they? :P

Keep make assumptions though, I find your ignorance to be a real slice of fresh moronic regurgitation. ;)

2. Jeff - Oct 29, 2013 at 11:14 PM

Indy is a great city. What happened to JR could happen in any city.
    Frankly, JR should have been paying attention to his surroundings instead of being focused on his phone.

• apexassassin - Oct 30, 2013 at 9:48 PM

Great? I wouldn’t go that far. Though it could happen in city is very correct,,, imo J.R. hit the lottery that it wasn’t a real pistol!!!

• indycarseries500 - Oct 31, 2013 at 10:28 AM

Sorry I’m so ignorant of your little fantasy world where the entire planet is Monte Carlo.

I didn’t claim it to be the greatest city in the world but it is an okay place, sorry it’s not London, or NYC, or Milan but to act like there’s something terribly wrong with it is the true ignorant statement.

3. worknman24hours - Oct 30, 2013 at 10:33 PM

The thief targeted the neighborhood Hildebrand was in for some reason.

He might return next time with a real gun.

If I were Hildebrand, stop taking this incident lightly and get myself my concealed carry permit and a real gun and train with the gun so I could use it if I needed it.

I already have mine-I might never need it but I am protecting my wife who is an invalid and myself, there won’t be any escaping a bad guy for me if he comes to my place.

I’ll have to be prepared and I am.

Video from NASCAR America

Tony Stewart does well in return
Top 10 NASCAR Driver Searches