Oct 28, 2013, 5:00 PM EST
Two quick NASCAR notes after this weekend’s race in Martinsville:
- Michael McDowell, a NASCAR journeyman who’s raced with high profile Michael Waltrip Racing and Joe Gibbs Racing before, will leave his current No. 98 Phil Parsons Racing Ford at year’s end for a lateral move to the No. 95 Leavine Family Racing Ford in 2014. It’s a one-year deal but it provides the fledgling team a bit of stability after Scott Speed and the team parted ways earlier this year. McDowell, 28, has a season and career-best finish of ninth at this year’s Daytona 500. The PPR team rarely runs a whole race and besides the four restrictor plate events, McDowell’s only other race finishes this year were 32nd at Indianapolis and 26th yesterday in Martinsville.
- While McDowell moves on, Ken Schrader told ESPN’s Allen Bestwick during yesterday’s broadcast that this year’s season finale at Homestead will be his last race in a Sprint Cup car. Schrader’s the epitome of a “wheel man” with more than 760 career Cup starts dating to 1984, and thousands more on short tracks and dirt tracks throughout the country on a weekly basis. He has run part-time in Cup since 2007 and has a best finish of 27th at the fall Bristol race this year driving Frank Stoddard’s No. 32 U.S. Chrome Ford. Assuming that is his last Cup start – it’s hard to think of the words “Schrader” and “retire” in the same sentence – a proper appreciation post of his career will follow at that point.
Video from NASCAR America
- Michael Schumacher’s son, Mick Jr., has ‘secret’ F4 test 1
- Report: The Sprint Experience will not return in 2015 3
- Vergne joins Ferrari as a test driver 1
- IndyCar champ Will Power’s hidden talent — breakdancing 0
- NASCAR: Bubba Wallace confirmed for Roush Fenway XFINITY program 1
- Top NASCAR stories of 2014: No. 13 – Chase Elliott wins final Nationwide Series championship at record age 0
- CVC adds di Montezemolo, Walsh to Board of Directors for F1; Bernie stays on 0
RotoWorld.com Fantasy Sports
Top 10 NASCAR Driver Searches
Search player news RotoWorld