Oct 28, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
Sebastian Vettel says he struggles to comprehend how he’s won four world championships against the strong field Formula One has today.
Vettel singled out Fernando Alonso for praise, the Ferrari driver having finished runner-up to him in two of the last three seasons and is currently second again.
“I was watching Formula One when Fernando started to win races and now I’m racing Fernando,” said Vettel yesterday. “He’s been my toughest opponent for the last couple of years.”
“I think he’s extremely talented, very gifted behind the wheel, for sure. He’s Spanish, he’s very passionate, one way and the other.
“To race people like him, race people like Lewis [Hamilton] who I think has an amazing level of natural talent, to race people like Mark [Webber] who I rate the same way, like Nico [Rosberg] who I think is underestimated… a lot of guys, you know: Kimi [Raikkonen], Jenson [Button]- to win four titles, I don’t know, it’s just a big number you know? Four titles.”
Vettel has became the fourth driver in F1 history to claim the crown, putting him in a very select group of drivers. “To join people like that: Michael [Schumacher], [Juean Manuel] Fangio, [Alain] Prost is very difficult to put into perspective,” he said.
“I’m way too young to understand what it means. I might be sixty one day, maybe then I will understand but nobody cares any more. I care, it’s difficult to realise something that nobody can take away from you, basically.”
- Preview: Barber marks end of IndyCar’s first quarter of 2015 (VIDEO) 0
- Ryan Hunter-Reay looks to right 2015 season by completing winning trilogy at Barber Motorsports Park 0
- As GP2 turns 10 years old, where is the Class of ’05 now? 0
- Here’s your IndyCar times for this weekend’s Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama 0
- F1: Year-on-year, Ferrari’s gains, Mercedes’ continued edge reins after four races 0
- Racing community reflects on the loss of Fox Sports’ broadcaster Steve Byrnes 8
- Sam Schmidt’s inspirational lap in SAM Project, Arrow Corvette on NBC Nightly News (VIDEO, PHOTOS) 2