Oct 28, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
Sebastian Vettel says he struggles to comprehend how he’s won four world championships against the strong field Formula One has today.
Vettel singled out Fernando Alonso for praise, the Ferrari driver having finished runner-up to him in two of the last three seasons and is currently second again.
“I was watching Formula One when Fernando started to win races and now I’m racing Fernando,” said Vettel yesterday. “He’s been my toughest opponent for the last couple of years.”
“I think he’s extremely talented, very gifted behind the wheel, for sure. He’s Spanish, he’s very passionate, one way and the other.
“To race people like him, race people like Lewis [Hamilton] who I think has an amazing level of natural talent, to race people like Mark [Webber] who I rate the same way, like Nico [Rosberg] who I think is underestimated… a lot of guys, you know: Kimi [Raikkonen], Jenson [Button]- to win four titles, I don’t know, it’s just a big number you know? Four titles.”
Vettel has became the fourth driver in F1 history to claim the crown, putting him in a very select group of drivers. “To join people like that: Michael [Schumacher], [Juean Manuel] Fangio, [Alain] Prost is very difficult to put into perspective,” he said.
“I’m way too young to understand what it means. I might be sixty one day, maybe then I will understand but nobody cares any more. I care, it’s difficult to realise something that nobody can take away from you, basically.”
- Talladega Nights-inspired restaurant sued by Sony Pictures 0
- It’s happy hour at Team Penske after Vegas sweep (VIDEO) 1
- Australian GP wide open, both from past stats and preseason tests 0
- For Josef Newgarden, year three is chance to enter IndyCar’s elite 1
- Kanaan set for more than just Indy 500 success with Ganassi switch in 2014 2
- Kurt Busch gives IndyCar chance to show they’ve learned lesson on promotion (10)
- F1 on NBC Sports TV, streaming schedule for 2014 Australian Grand Prix (7)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (7)
- NNS: Elliott’s car found too low, shock taken from Keselowski’s car (6)
- Busch news kicks off what may be a busy Tuesday for IndyCar (5)