Oct 29, 2013, 3:00 PM EDT
Clint Bowyer hasn’t factored into the NASCAR Chase for the Sprint Cup this year, which to most fans is probably justice, given the way the regular season ended with Bowyer’s caution-causing spin at Richmond creating a firestorm of controversy in the sport.
Still, despite everything that happened that night and the proverbial “ripple effect” it’s had on the Michael Waltrip Racing organization, Bowyer says the team has developed a good game plan to weather the storm.
“I don’t know if everyone’s at a good place, but I guess the biggest thing is we have a good game plan,” Bowyer said Monday in a media teleconference. “You’ve got to be able to come up with a goal, set goals, come up with a plan of where do we go from here? Certainly, man, it’s been a day-by-day thing. No more than I felt like we were turning the corner of trying to get past what happened in Richmond, and Brian (Vickers) out of the blue comes up with his illness. It was like ‘Oh, my God, not again.’ When does it stop?
“But, nonetheless, very proud, to be honest with you, of where we’re at considering all the circumstances,” he added. “I mean, we’re sixth in points. With all the distractions, all of the melees that have been going on with our organization, it just seems like it would have been very easy to get your eye off the ball and lose focus and not even completely be a factor at all.”
Here’s the recap of what has happened: Bowyer’s spin led to all three MWR cars getting docked 50 driver and owner points, which kicked Martin Truex Jr. out of the Chase, which eventually led to NAPA leaving Truex’s team, and eventually led to the team downsizing to two full-time cars for 2014 with some staff reductions.
“We’ve sure learned a lot this year, but I think all of those mistakes and occurrences will only make you stronger in the future,” Bowyer admitted. “I mean, the setback of losing Martin Truex, he’s not only a good teammate, he’s a good friend. I’ve known him for a long time and we’ve battled back and forth in the Nationwide days. Not having him around me is tough.”
Bowyer attempted to put a positive spin on the team going to two cars.
“We’ve got a great game plan of scaling back to two cars and focusing on that,” he said. “I mean, make no mistake, the team that won the championship last year only had two cars so this can be done. Two-car organizations can work. I’m glad that they made the decision before we really tried to make three cars work and didn’t have the means to do it. Definitely make sure that you are hitting on all these cylinders with what you have and making the most of what you have. I think that’s what we’re moving towards and our game plan.”
Bowyer has one more year remaining on his contract, and also one year left with 5-Hour Energy, which has announced it will stay another year.
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon, 24 team make statement at Dover (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend wrap-up: Was first Chase elimination race an exciting one? 0
- Tony Stewart speaks, cites overwhelming support in the search of return to normalcy 15
- Simon Pagenaud confirmed at Team Penske in fourth IndyCar 3
- Jeff Gordon advances to next round of Chase with first Dover victory since 2001 5
- Open letter from Kevin Ward Jr.’s aunt questions Tony Stewart, evidence of marijuana in nephew’s system 49
- Kyle Busch outduels Joey Logano for Nationwide win in Dover 2