Oct 29, 2013, 2:30 PM EDT
This weekend, the Chase for the Sprint Cup is going to the Circus – “Wild Asphalt Circus,” that is.
The intensity surrounding the championship is sure to build even further at Texas Motor Speedway, as Matt Kenseth and Jimmie Johnson enter the AAA Texas 500 tied for the lead – although Kenseth does hold the tie-breaker, as his seven victories this season trumps Johnson’s five.
Four of Kenseth’s seven wins in 2013 have come on 1.5-mile ovals such as Texas but based on past performance at this track, both himself and Johnson appear evenly matched going in – which could make Kenseth’s runner-up effort this past weekend at Martinsville all the more critical in the end.
However, both Kenseth and Johnson’s greatest challenge this weekend may not be each other.
Kyle Busch‘s title hopes are now in serious danger after late-race handling problems at Martinsville caused him to finish 15th. But in the Sprint Cup Series’ first visit this year to Texas back in April, Busch was able to take the lead coming out of the final pit stops and go on to win. Expect him to leave nothing on the table as he tries to erase a 36 point deficit over the final three races.
Ahead of Busch at third and fourth in the championship respectively are Jeff Gordon (-27 points), your winner at Martinsville, and Kevin Harvick (-28 points). They too must position themselves to capitalize on any misfortunes Kenseth and Johnson may have.
As provided weekly by NASCAR, here’s a glimpse at what the 13 Chase contenders have done in their Cup careers at TMS:
Matt Kenseth (Leader – 2,294 points; holds tie-breaker over Jimmie Johnson with 7 wins this year)
· Two wins, 12 Top-5s, 15 Top-10s
· Average Finish: 8.5 in 22 races
· Series-best Average Running Position of 9.3
*Series-best Driver Rating of 106.5
*Series-best Average Green Flag Speed of 173.225 mph
*Series-high 4,497 Laps in the Top 15 (79.0%)
Jimmie Johnson (Second – 2,294 points; 5 wins this year)
· Two wins, nine Top-5s, 15 Top-10s
· Average Finish: 9.1 in 20 races
· Average Running Position: 10.9, third-best
Jeff Gordon (Third, -27 points)
· One win, eight Top-5s, 11 Top-10s
· Average Finish: 17.0 in 25 races
· Average Running Position: 13.3, 10th-best
Kevin Harvick (Fourth, -28 points)
· Three Top-5s, 10 Top-10s
· Average Finish: 12.5 in 21 races
· Average Running Position: 15.2, 15th-best
*Series-high 1,360 Green Flag Passes
Kyle Busch (Fifth, -36 points)
· One win, six Top-5s, seven Top-10s
· Average Finish: 14.1 in 16 races
· Average Running Position: 11.2, fourth-best
Clint Bowyer (Sixth, -55 points)
· Three Top-5s, eight Top-10s
· Average Finish: 12.9 in 15 races
· Average Running Position: 12.8, ninth-best
Dale Earnhardt Jr. (Seventh, -56 points)
· One win, three Top-5s, 12 Top-10s
· Average Finish: 14.3 in 22 races
· Average Running Position: 11.9, sixth-best
*Series-high 707 Quality Passes (passes within Top 15)
Greg Biffle (Eighth, -58 points)
· Two wins, eight Top-5s, 12 Top-10s
· Average Finish: 15.3 in 19 races
· Average Running Position: 12.3, seventh-best
*Series-high 458 Fastest Laps Run
Kurt Busch (Ninth, -75 points)
· One win, three Top-5s, 12 Top-10s
· Average Finish: 15.2 in 21 races
· Average Running Position: 14.7, 14th-best
Carl Edwards (10th, -76 points)
· Three wins, six Top-5s, eight Top-10s
· Average Finish: 14.4 in 17 races
· Average Running Position: 11.9, fifth-best
Joey Logano (11th, -85 points)
· Two Top-5s, two Top-10s
· Average Finish: 21.7 in 10 races
· Average Running Position: 22.2, 28th-best
Ryan Newman (12th, -106 points)
· One win, three Top-5s, four Top-10s
· Average Finish: 19.8 in 20 races
· Average Running Position: 20.8, 22nd-best
Kasey Kahne (13th, -124 points)
· One win, four Top-5s, five Top-10s
· Average Finish: 18.7 in 18 races
· Average Running Position: 15.4, 16th-best
Aug 1, 2015, 2:15 PM EDT
Watch qualifying for Round 14 of the IndyCar season LIVE from Mid-Ohio.
Aug 1, 2015, 1:02 PM EDT
For fans and strategists alike, the new LED panels have been well received at Mid-Ohio.
Aug 1, 2015, 12:36 PM EDT
New global shootout for Mazda scholarship on Mazda Road to Indy is announced.
Aug 1, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT
He may have an 85 point lead at the top of the GP2 standings, but Vandoorne is not planning to play it safe for the remainder of the season.
Aug 1, 2015, 11:34 AM EDT
Dixon does it again in practice with an unofficial lap record at Mid-Ohio, finishing ahead of Newgarden and Kimball.
Aug 1, 2015, 11:18 AM EDT
Mazda Road to Indy and Pirelli World Challenge race updates from Mid-Ohio as they happen on one of the busiest road racing days of the year.
Aug 1, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT
Rossi is pushing to become the first American driver to make an F1 start since 2007.
Aug 1, 2015, 8:58 AM EDT
Enerson emerges from a scrap with Harvey for Indy Lights pole.
Jul 31, 2015, 6:39 PM EDT
Jamin, Cooper emerge victorious to kick off the weekend at Mid-Ohio.
Jul 31, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
Nasr calls on the team to make it through a rough patch ahead of the next raft of updates in Belgium.
Jul 31, 2015, 4:35 PM EDT
The Mid-Ohio dominator tops Friday practice in 2015.
Jul 31, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT
Verstappen joins Team Redline’s sim racing roster in a bid to keep sharp when not on the track.
Jul 31, 2015, 2:57 PM EDT
Some news and notes from the paddock at the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course.
Jul 31, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT
We round up all of the latest news and developments in Formula E ahead of pre-season testing next month.
Jul 31, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
With victory in Hungary, Vettel closed the gap at the top to 42 points – but can he catch Lewis Hamilton and challenge for a fifth world title?
Jul 31, 2015, 12:07 PM EDT
First blood to Bourdais in practice at Mid-Ohio ahead of Power and Newgarden.
Jul 31, 2015, 10:24 AM EDT
Hinchcliffe’s recovery continues following his accident in practice for the Indy 500 back in May.
Jul 31, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT
Gutierrez claims his work in a reserve role at Ferrari is helping to open up some new opportunities for 2016.
Jul 31, 2015, 8:42 AM EDT
Josef Newgarden’s future will become a talking point at some stage, but it appears it will be after the season.
Jul 31, 2015, 7:26 AM EDT
Umphrey’s McGee on a GTSport Racing Porsche Cayman S? Believe it.
- WATCH LIVE: Honda Indy 200 qualifying at 3 p.m. ET on NBCSN, Live Extra 0
- Dixon quickest with unofficial lap record in final practice at Mid-Ohio 0
- Dixon fastest on Friday at Mid-Ohio 1
- Hinchcliffe undergoes final surgery, now “can’t wait to be strapping back in” 2
- With 2016 plans undetermined, Newgarden focused on finishing 2015 strong 1
- Racing, music blend as Umphrey’s McGee partners with GTSport Racing for rest of 2015 PWC season 1
- Exploring what’s next for Derrick Walker as he announces he’s leaving IndyCar 0