Oct 29, 2013, 10:00 AM EST
Daniel Ricciardo says he is eagerly anticipating the challenge of taking on Sebastian Vettel at Red Bull next year after his future team mate clinched his fourth world championship title.
“Four times in a row – phenomenal!” said Ricciardo.
“At the start of the season it looked like it could be anyone’s title shot but from the summer he’s not let anyone even look at the trophy.
“He’s just ran away with it. It’s very impressive and I can’t wait to have the best in the world as my team mate. That’s the real challenge and an opportunity for me to see how good I am. Hopefully I’ll be giving him a tough run for his money.”
Ricciardo finished tenth in India despite coming under pressure from Fernando Alonso in the closing stages. The Ferrari driver was struggling with damage.
Ricciardo said he chose to start the race on the harder tires as the team split their strategy between their two drivers.
“I started the race on the prime tire and JEV [Jean-Eric Vergne] took the option,” said Ricciardo. “For me, that’s a mix of personal choice and team strategy.”
I wanted to start on the prime and when we’re both outside the top ten and there isn’t a clear way to go, the team often splits the strategy to give us the best chance of getting at least one car into the points. Usually the guy who qualifies better gets the choice and in India that was me – though I don’t think JEV was too bothered taking the alternative.”
- Driver, team owner and now actor: Tony Stewart’s first edition of ‘Smoke is The Bandit’ is released (video) 0
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed 5
- Williams launches new livery, confirms Martini partnership 3
- F1 on NBC Sports TV, streaming schedule for 2014 Australian Grand Prix 4
- Report: F1 apparently headed for Azerbaijan in 2015 or 2016 5
- Instead of significant improvement, 2014 starting off the way 2013 ended for Danica Patrick (10)
- Kurt Busch gives IndyCar chance to show they’ve learned lesson on promotion (10)
- Alonso discovers an F1 take on Ellen’s Oscar “Selfie” (6)
- UPDATED: FIA decision on Haas, new F1 teams delayed (5)
- BHA announces The Collection Auto Group and Castrol as sponsors; driver TBD (5)