Oct 29, 2013, 5:00 PM EDT
We’re a bit late on posting this news, but then the Taylor brothers might argue it’s never too late to race together as “Bro-drivers.”
Indeed Jordan Taylor – 2013 GRAND-AM Rolex Series Daytona Prototype co-champion and an emerging Internet legend – and older brother Ricky Taylor will co-drive their father Wayne’s No. 10 Corvette Dallara DP in the 2014 TUDOR United SportsCar Championship.
“This has obviously been a longtime dream of mine and, quite honestly, I thought it could never happen,” Wayne Taylor said in the team’s release. “Thanks to the tremendous support of Team Chevy, Velocity Worldwide and Toshiba for making this happen. I am incredibly excited to move forward with both my sons driving for our racing team full-time.
Jordan Taylor replaced Ricky alongside Max Angelelli this season; the JT and “Max the Axe” pairing won five races, including the last three in a row. At another Corvette DP team, Ricky bore the brunt of bad luck with co-driver Richard Westbrook and went winless.
Angelelli will race on with the team as third driver for endurance races. Jordan Taylor, however, will not be able to carry on his duties as third driver for Corvette Racing’s GT program at least in the TUDOR Championship.
The Taylor brothers did race as co-drivers in 2009 with Beyer Racing for three races, but this marks their first full season racing as co-drivers.
“I think we’ve both had the chance to prove ourselves out there on our own the last several years,” Jordan Taylor said. “With Ricky having earned all those poles and winning all those races with Max, and then our championship this year with Max, the timing seems to be ideal for maximizing our recent success with Ricky and myself as full-time co-drivers. Max has been a like a brother to both of us and it will be great to keep that continuity going, as well, with him as our mentor and co-driver at the longer races.”
“First off, my dad and I would like to thank the Spirit of Daytona team for the opportunity to drive for their organization this past season,” Ricky Taylor added. “Prior to that, it was a tremendous experience to spend three years driving my dad’s car with Max, and it was an absolute thrill to see Jordan and Max enjoy such a solid season in winning the championship the way they did. Now, the three of us will all be working together with the goal of winning the first United SportsCar Championship. This is truly incredible for our family, for our great sponsors and partners, and our fans.”
Ricky Taylor has also, for the move, changed his Twitter handle from @ricky_taylor90 to @rickytaylor_10, so make a note of that.
- After safety concerns, NASCAR announces changes to qualifying 1
- Red Bull’s Horner says Mercedes could lap field twice in Oz 0
- Complete 2014 F1 on NBC Sports TV Times, Schedule 1
- Keselowski’s crew chief on cooldown issue: “It’s a tough spot” 1
- IndyCar’s “nearly” man, Justin Wilson, set to overachieve once more 0
- F1 on NBC Sports TV, streaming schedule for 2014 Australian Grand Prix (7)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (7)
- NNS: Elliott’s car found too low, shock taken from Keselowski’s car (6)
- Report: F1 apparently headed for Azerbaijan in 2015 or 2016 (5)
- The Dos Equis guy will give NASCAR’s start your engines command in Las Vegas (5)