Oct 30, 2013, 3:00 PM EDT
“I’m not surprised by (his success), and that’s because I’ve seen how much Matt pours into his driving, and over the years I’ve seen how fierce of a competitor he is,” Edwards said in a media teleconference Tuesday. “I mean, he’s a relatively quiet guy, and he’s pretty understated, but man, he really, really drives the wheels off a race car from the start of the race weekend until the checkered flag falls.”
Edwards and Greg Biffle have been RFR’s “lead dogs” this year but neither has been able to mount a serious challenge in this year’s Chase. Biffle earned some headlines this week for his coming-together with Johnson and a post-race argument they had on pit road; Biffle, however, clarified what happened yesterday in a separate teleconference.
But there’s no denying the impact that Kenseth’s loss to Joe Gibbs Racing has had for RFR. All due respect to Ricky Stenhouse Jr., but as a rookie, he’s simply not going to be able to provide the same setup feedback or help push a team forward in its first year.
“I think that we were as good of teammates as I’ve ever had,” Edwards said. “I think a lot of Matt, and I think he was a huge asset to our team.
“It is interesting to watch him in this championship battle, and there are times where I still feel like – it’s hard for me to think of him as not my teammate because of how much time we spent under the same roof. So yeah, to me, as much as I hate to see him do well at another organization – I wish he was doing it here – I think it’s good to see him have the success because he definitely works hard and has given his life to racing.”
Edwards added that while Johnson may beat Kenseth to the title – the pair are tied in points heading into Texas this weekend – Kenseth won’t find a way to lose it.
“I can tell you one thing: Matt won’t make mistakes. He will not lose the championship. He’ll be one of the strongest parts of that team in my opinion.”
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR schedule reveals some potential 2015 IndyCar schedule hints; Texas IndyCar returns 2
- Kevin Harvick riled at Tony Stewart portrayal in Kevin Ward Jr. tragedy 76
- Like a good stew, 2015 Sprint Cup schedule and new Chase format need time to simmer for best taste 1
- NASCAR AMERICA: How did the 2015 schedule come together? (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR announces 2015 Sprint Cup, Nationwide, and Truck Series schedules (VIDEO) 4
- FIA won’t punish Nico Rosberg after Belgian GP incident with Lewis Hamilton 11
- Will Power once again in position for IndyCar title – but this time feels different 1