Oct 30, 2013, 10:00 AM EST
Kimi Raikkonen is aiming to repeat his 2012 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix win this weekend – and avoid a repeat of his lackluster outing at the track in 2009.
Raikkonen has only raced on the Yas Marina circuit twice before with contrasting results. His victory last year was his first for Lotus, but he had a poor run on his final appearance for Ferrari in 2009.
“I had a good result there last year, but I had a very boring race there the first time I visited in 2009. I’d prefer to have another good result, but you don’t know how strong you’ll be until you get to the circuit.”
Raikkonen said his 2012 win – his first in four years – made him “very happy for the team; myself also obviously, but mainly for the all the crew and everyone at Enstone”.
“It was a hard season so the win was well deserved for everyone and just what we needed. It was something great for all the fans who have continued to support me and the team too. For me, it was just another win on the list.
“It’s great of course because it had been a few years, but the wins before were very similar; we didn’t have the best car, but we fought hard and still won.”
However his 2009 swansong for Ferrari did not go so well. “That was a boring one I can tell you,” remarked Raikkonen.
“I finished back in twelfth position and there was nothing I could do about it. Those sorts of races are not the best.”
Video from NASCAR America
- F1 2014 Review: Stories of the Season 0
- Toro Rosso confirms Carlos Sainz Jr. for 2015 F1 season 1
- F1 2014 Driver Review: Lewis Hamilton 0
- IndyCar’s Graham Rahal, NHRA’s Courtney Force engaged 12
- Police seek cause of death of race fan found near Talladega 0
- MST exclusive: BK Racing co-owner Anthony Marlowe apologizes for Cole Whitt/David Ragan tweet controversy 0
- What we’re thankful for in the motorsports world, 2014 3