‘Thinking outside the box’ paid off in India – Mallya

Oct 30, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of India - Practice Getty Images

Force India team principal Vijay Mallya said the team’s bold tactics helped it score its first double points finish since the British Grand Prix last weekend.

“We wanted to do well at our home Grand Prix,” Mallya told the official F1 website. “We scored points at the first two races here and we wanted to score points again – if possible with both cars.”

“We knew that the car had a good race pace, even though we didn’t qualify brilliantly, and the only way to assure ourselves of points was to have a very aggressive strategy.

“So we took both the extremes: Paul came in on the first lap and Adrian stayed out as long as he could and pushed the soft tyres also quite well until the end. Yes, it was risky in some respects, but it turned out well for us.

Mallya added he had encouraged his team to “think outside the box” when it came to strategy.

The result has raised the team’s hopes of finishing ahead of Sauber, who are 23 points behind them.

“I don’t want to talk about Sauber,” said Mallya. “We gained six points on them at the weekend – they were obviously hoping to gain six points or more on us, but fortunately it worked in our favour.”

“I don’t know what happened to Nico [Hulkenberg] and why he retired, but he was going well until that point. But be that as it may, yes, we will continue to think out of the box, we will continue to score points and we will continue to make baby steps. This will be our strategy for the remaining three races.”

1. apexassassin - Oct 30, 2013 at 4:34 PM

Both Sutil and even more so Grosjean making the one-stopper work was inpressive. Especially since the Softs were useless for everyone else. Nice job Pirelli.

Still Force India wasted many opportunities this year and missed out on a massive amount of points.

2. worknman24hours - Oct 30, 2013 at 10:26 PM

I am amazed Force India still exists as a team.

I wish they had taken the momentum they once had and ran towards the front but it was not to be.

Hopefully, this run towards the front has staying power.

That said, I would not be surprised if one weekend soon Force India simply closed everything up and left the sport.

It takes a horrendous amount of money just to compete in F1 and Force India,like the Williams team has been starving for cash for a long time.

• apexassassin - Oct 30, 2013 at 11:26 PM

Williams isn’t starving for cash. They never were. They make enough with their Williams technology arm to support their F1 forever. Get your facts straight. Though I’m not surprised considering your love letter about Webber, lol.

• apexassassin - Oct 30, 2013 at 11:41 PM

Though I def agree about FI… how they are still in business while Kingfisher Airlines goes bust and countless employees go unpaid is quite beyond me!

Some smart manufacturer could buy them for a good price I bet. And considering how well they do with their much smaller budget it would be a good deal, imo.

• worknman24hours - Nov 1, 2013 at 12:16 AM

That’s an interesting statement considering they are taking pay drivers and were generally reported to be close to out of F1 just a few years ago.

On the brink, I think the press said.

If Williams is financially healthy then they need to do a better job of getting that fact out in the press.

• worknman24hours - Nov 1, 2013 at 12:18 AM

And I agree with what you said about Kingfisher.

Just proves the lower F1 teams have some truly bizarre financial pathways to stay in the sport.

Video from NASCAR America

Why Bristol is such a unique track
Top 10 NASCAR Driver Searches