Oct 31, 2013, 2:00 PM EST
Valtteri Bottas has said that although this year has been an incredibly difficult one for Williams, it has allowed him and the team to learn how to deal with a troublesome car and prepare sufficiently for next year’s raft of regulation changes.
Bottas is one of four rookies yet to score a point this season, but teammate Pastor Maldonado has also suffered from the FW35’s lack of pace as he has scored just one point compared to thirty-three by this time last year. However, the young Finn has been mature about the situation, conceding that it is part of becoming a grand prix racer.
“It’s been a challenging year,” he said. “We’ve been learning a lot the whole year as a team. It’s been very tough, so we’re definitely I think going in a good direction. We’re now very focused for next year.”
Bottas has also noted a change in the philosophy at Williams’ headquarters in Oxfordshire, England. With the arrival of Pay Symonds and rumors linking Ross Brawn to the team, the management re-shuffle could see the team reach new heights in 2013.
“The working at the factory is changing,” Bottas explained. “We’ve got some new people and I’ve already seen some good things. I really think the future of Williams will be much better than what we’ve seen this year.”
Regarding his own future, Bottas refused to speculate, instead pointing the media in the direction of deputy team principal Claire Williams. However, with Pastor Maldonado thought to be angling for a move away from the team, the Finn could be secure for a second year of racing in F1.
- Carl Edwards: “I plan on winning 10 races and the championship” 2
- NASCAR: Dale Jr. expects even more performance in 2015 1
- UPDATED — Highway to Hell(cat): Owner wrecks 707-hp Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat one hour after buying it 53
- John Force like you’ve never seen him: ‘Papa John’ the grandfather (video) 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son, Mick Jr., has ‘secret’ F4 test 3
- Report: The Sprint Experience will not return in 2015 4
- Vergne joins Ferrari as a test driver 1