Oct 31, 2013, 1:00 PM EST
Nico Rosberg is predicting a close battle between Mercedes, Ferrari and Lotus for second place in the constructors’ championship across the final three races of the season, but the German driver does believe that the Silver Arrows are enjoying a pace advantage over their Italian rivals.
Mercedes re-claimed second place in India thanks to Rosberg’s drive to second place and the early demise of Fernando Alonso, but the German driver did lose a lot of time stuck behind Felipe Massa. However, he managed to exercise the undercut and easily move ahead after the second round of pit stops, and he is sure that Mercedes are quicker in all areas.
“We’re a bit quicker than them everywhere, so that’s a good basis that increases our chances,” Rosberg explained on Thursday in Abu Dhabi. “The chances are good, but it’s going to be tough.”
Rosberg also expressed his concern about Lotus’ upturn in fortunes. The British team is now within twenty-eight points of Mercedes thanks to a string of podium finishes stretching back to the Singapore Grand Prix.
“We also need to keep an eye on Lotus, because they’re coming strong,” Rosberg said. “It’s very close. It’s not going to be easy, the constructors’, but a great battle and it should be cool to watch.”
By finishing in second place in India, Rosberg brought to an end a podium-less run stretching back to his win at the British Grand Prix back in June. He will now be looking to build upon this result to secure his first top-three finish in Abu Dhabi this weekend.
- Vettel calls double points idea “absurd” 1
- New F1 rules announced Monday create more questions than answers 2
- Cost cap, double points for Abu Dhabi part of new FIA regulation changes 9
- Team co-owned by Leonardo DiCaprio is 10th and last for FE 1
- Franchitti’s ride appears down to Briscoe or Tagliani vs. the field 2
- Eddie Gossage: “Foolish move” by F1 to go head-to-head with NASCAR at Texas (12)
- GP of America organizers issue statement on race postponement (10)
- IndyCar TV sked for 2014 released; 13 races to be shown on NBCSN (9)
- Cost cap, double points for Abu Dhabi part of new FIA regulation changes (9)
- NASCAR Sprint Cup silly season update for 2014 (8)