Oct 31, 2013, 6:00 PM EST
Two more drivers have confirmed their 2014 TUDOR United SportsCar Championship plans in the last couple days.
Andy Lally stays with Magnus Racing and co-driver and team principal John Potter (pictured). Lally, a former NASCAR Sprint Cup rookie-of-the-year, has since returned to his sports car roots and was close to winning this year’s GRAND-AM Rolex Series GT championship. The pair will race Magnus’ new Porsche 911 GT America, a car designed solely for the TUDOR Championship’s GTD class, and Lally has begun testing today at Sebring Raceway in Florida.
Elsewhere in Florida, or at least involving teams based there, Spirit of Daytona confirmed Canadian Michael Valiante as one of its two drivers earlier this week of its Corvette Daytona Prototype. Valiante drove a handful of events for the team in 2012 and won with Richard Westbrook at Mid-Ohio. Westbrook is expected to be confirmed alongside in due course.
Because Lally drove for both Magnus (GRAND-AM) and Dempsey Racing (American Le Mans Series) this year, he’s the first driver to have to choose between squads for the merged 2014 series. That led to Dempsey’s team offering this tweet as a response; note if you follow @GoDempseyRacing, this is not at all meant as a slight on Lally.
— Dempsey Racing (@GoDempseyRacing) October 31, 2013
Meanwhile Valiante raced a partial season with Enzo Potolicchio’s 8Star Motorsports DP team in 2013. But 8Star has not yet confirmed its 2014 plans for either the TUDOR Championship or the FIA World Endurance Championship.
Video from NASCAR America
- UPDATED — Highway to Hell(cat): Owner wrecks 707-hp Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat one hour after buying it 26
- John Force like you’ve never seen him: ‘Papa John’ the grandfather (video) 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son, Mick Jr., has ‘secret’ F4 test 3
- Report: The Sprint Experience will not return in 2015 4
- Vergne joins Ferrari as a test driver 1
- IndyCar champ Will Power’s hidden talent — breakdancing 0
- NASCAR: Bubba Wallace confirmed for Roush Fenway XFINITY program 2