Webber considers himself to be as good as many champions

Oct 31, 2013, 10:45 AM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of Great Britain - Previews Getty Images

Mark Webber believes that he is just as good as many drivers who have won a Formula One world championship despite never managing the feat himself.

The Australian driver is entering the final three races of his Formula One career as he prepares to move to Porsche’s Le Mans programme in 2014. However, he made clear that he has few regrets from his time in the sport, and that his achievements with Red Bull give him a career to be proud of.

“I think that I did my absolute best at the time,” Webber said. “I never ever would have thought that I would have had a grand prix career of 215 races and forty podiums and some special victories, and lots of good highlights. But you always want more, it’s human nature.

“Obviously you’re measured maybe on championships. Do I see myself in the same calibre as some of the single world champions? Of course I do. I’m still very proud of what I’ve achieved. Am I multiple world champion? Probably not, but I still believe its been a very proud and honest career for myself.”

Webber came close to winning the drivers’ championship back in 2010, losing out to teammate Sebastian Vettel at the final round of the season in Abu Dhabi. Both drivers will return to the Yas Marina circuit this weekend in what will be Webber’s final Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, and he will be keen on claiming his tenth career victory in order to sign off in style.

1. indycarseries500 - Oct 31, 2013 at 11:01 AM

100% agree. He’s raced wheel-to-wheel with Seb, Nando, Kimi, Jense, Hamilton, and Schumacher, but just never had the luck, consistency, ruthless personalty, or car to be a Champion throughout his career. If only he had a bit more team support in 2010 he may be a Champion today.

• worknman24hours - Nov 1, 2013 at 12:10 AM

I second everything you posted.

Mark leaves Formula One having been a credit to the sport itself in all of his efforts.

• f1fan13 - Nov 1, 2013 at 9:27 AM

You are correct sir. I for one am going to miss the Aussie. I have a fan of his since his first season. He has come a long way. Vettel is one poor sportsmen.

2. wallio - Oct 31, 2013 at 11:26 AM

When you figure out how to actually launch a car, come talk to me. Mark is a mid-packer, always was (Jag, Williams, now) always will be. Mark will forever be known for three things, terrible, terrible terrible starts, flipping at Le Man’s, and scoring points in a Minardi. In that order. None of those = champion.

• worknman24hours - Nov 1, 2013 at 12:08 AM

When you learn how to drive a F1 car, go to Mark Webber.

He can teach you how to stay on the top team in the sport for four years and help that team win world championships.

• f1fan13 - Nov 1, 2013 at 9:28 AM

Go park your Yugo.

• captaingroovy - Nov 3, 2013 at 4:14 AM

Spoken like a man parks his bodacious buttocks into barcalounger every Sunday and turns the volume up loud so he can feel that subwoofer roar in that special place. So is true that you still live in the basement of you ‘Mom’s” house but the reason you still live at home to “help her out” and not free room and board as well as laundry service. So tell us with all your F1 racing experience which is better Xbox, or Playstation, and what site do you post do you post your fast laps on so we can watch car control and great race starts.

3. f1teen - Nov 3, 2013 at 12:10 PM

Webber hasn’t contributed to any team success. Vettel has enough points alone to win the WCC

4. spa67 - Nov 5, 2013 at 6:21 PM

A lot of people have a short memory. At the 2010 Korean Grand Prix Webber put it in the wall. He has no one to blame but himself. That was it. It was his championship to lose, and he did just that.

Most people are lucky to get one real chance. He had his and blew it. Calling himself “just as good” is an insult to the entire concept of sport.

I used to respect him.