Nov 1, 2013, 2:00 PM EDT
Romain Grosjean is feeling optimistic heading into the rest of the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix weekend despite suffering from a brake disc failure during the second practice session that meant much of his track time was lost.
The Frenchman finished quickest in the first session, but heading into turn eight he claimed that there was “something wrong” as he went straight on at the chicane. Upon his return to the pits, Lotus mechanics shrouded the car in order to hide the problem, but it was soon confirmed that he had indeed suffered a brake disc failure, as confirmed by NBC Sports’ Will Buxton.
Front right disc on GRO car obliterated into numerous pieces. Team checking suspension connections, refitting new disc. Ready to roll.
— Will Buxton (@willbuxton) November 1, 2013
However, Grosjean remains optimistic ahead of qualifying tomorrow.
“It’s been a pretty good day even if we missed time in the later session whilst the brakes were worked on,” he explained. “We also had a little vibration that needed looking at, but it wasn’t the end of the world.
“The car feels pretty good as we saw with the fastest time in the first session, so I’m sure we’ll get on top of everything we need to for tomorrow.”
Grosjean is looking to extend his run of three consecutive podium finishes in Abu Dhabi as he looks to lead Lotus’ charge for second place in the constructors’ championship following Kimi Raikkonen‘s downturn in form and the Finn’s relationship with the team souring.
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Barber (3 p.m. ET, NBCSN and Live Extra) 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son Mick victorious on debut ADAC F4 weekend 1
- IndyCar beats the rain, Castroneves, Penske beats the field in Barber qualifying (VIDEO) 2
- WSR: Rowland wins Formula Renault 3.5 season-opener at Motorland Aragon 0
- Preview: Barber marks end of IndyCar’s first quarter of 2015 (VIDEO) 0
- Ryan Hunter-Reay looks to right 2015 season by completing winning trilogy at Barber Motorsports Park 0
- As GP2 turns 10 years old, where is the Class of ’05 now? 0