Raikkonen could walk away from Lotus before season’s end

Nov 1, 2013, 1:45 PM EDT

AUTO-PRIX-F1-ABU-DHABI-PRACTICE Getty Images

Kimi Raikkonen has said that he could leave Lotus before the end of the season unless he receives some of the money that he is owed by the team.

The on-going feud between Raikkonen and Lotus over payment has been well documented, with the team insisting that the situation is completely normal as this is how they manage their cash flow. However, Raikkonen, who will leave the team at the end of the year in favor of a move back to Ferrari, is losing patience and could leave early as a result. He also revealed that he very nearly didn’t come to the race in Abu Dhabi this weekend.

“I came here only because we found an understanding on the certain issues we have been having,” he explained to journalists on Friday. “Hopefully it will be fixed and we can finish the season as well as we can.

“I enjoy racing, I enjoy driving, but a big part of it is business. Sometimes, when that is not dealt with like it should be, we end up in an unfortunate situation. You have to put the line in somewhere.”

The breakdown in the relationship between Raikkonen and the team was evident in Korea when trackside operations director Alan Permane swore at the Finn and told him to move aside for the quicker Romain Grosjean. Raikkonen, known for his dislike of communication over the radio, swore back and told them to leave him alone. Eventually, Grosjean did pass his teammate and went on to finish in third place.

Therefore, Raikkonen may not be racing at the Circuit of the Americas later this month when Formula One makes its annual visit to the United States. Should this be the case, it is likely that third driver Davide Valsecchi would step up to his seat for the final two rounds of the season.

1. 950003cups - Nov 1, 2013 at 4:49 PM

Say what you want. But Kimmi can drive!

2. thenicklemansbrothera - Nov 1, 2013 at 5:35 PM

This is the same as it always been with Lotus. They pay the base contract early and then pay the Podium and points money at the end of the year. It was the same last year and Kimi didn’t complain. He knew it would be the same this year. At the end of the year he will get his money and will be the highest paid driver on the grid. I can’t understand why he is complaining now. His dropoff in performance seems strange as it will cost him financally. Lotus has too much invested in getting 2nd in constructors points to play games I understand it is worth around $35 million between 2’nd and 4’th.

3. worknman24hours - Nov 1, 2013 at 6:26 PM

nickles-great post.

You sure mad me less mad at Lotus by telling us the payment schedule.

What you posted makes sense from a business standpoint but sure makes it strange that Kimi would let his manager have him sign a contract with no stipend ay throughout the year.

Not that Kimi needs any money but that’s not really the point if Kimi’s contract says he should get some money at certain times of the year.

There must be more then money in this.

Possibly anger at having his car Webber’d to make Grosjean look better.

4. thenicklemansbrothera - Nov 1, 2013 at 9:23 PM

Workman, Unless you are VERY thick skinned I reccomend yo not say anything not in support of Kimmi. His fans will come down on you and seak out your other posts and go there and come down on you . I have never seen such rabid support for anyone. Personally I think he is a great driver but posibly the seperation with his wife Jenni has put stress on him. Both personaly and financially.

• worknman24hours - Nov 2, 2013 at 12:22 PM

I feast on the hatred people send my way over the internet.

I am filled with the joy that I have so fully destabilized people that they will open their hearts and show just how feeble minded they truly are.

Never let what people post online give you one milliseconds pause, the internet for all it’s self importance is NOTHING in the grand scheme of REAL life.

That said, it’s a great place to open up and support those who you like and I have been a Kimi supporter since the ( formerly) crazy Finn tried every race to dismantle his McLaren race car in practice, qualifying and the races while driving at the limit of life every lap.

I am saddened to read he’s had a parting of the ways with his stunningly beautiful wife and I guess there could be other matters weighing heavily on the Kimster as well.

A contract is a contract and should said contract include payment checkpoints through the year and Team Lotus has not met them, I can fully see why Kimi would not be too happy.

Especially if the team’s principals have already made clear to him in the pits during their times before the races lately that, ” You can back off all you want Kimi, we’re keeping most of your pay anyway since YOU didn’t deliver as promised.”

Funny thing is, Lotus did have a great car for part of the year and Kimi did make the most of that car and then suddenly the tables turned around and Grosjean starts doing his best in the car.

Don’t think I am a Grosjean hater either.

That young man has the fire in him just like Kimi did all those years ago.

It’s a mess and I just hope that Lotus and Kimi can come together ,find a common ground, get Kimi the money he’s due to be paid even early from the standard of the points he’s earned so far this year and they can both move on to better things without this needless drama for the last few races.

Have a nice day Nickles, lets enjoy the rest of the season and let the haters feast on themselves.

Top 10 NASCAR Driver Searches