Nov 3, 2013, 6:30 AM EDT
It was clear after a tense qualifying in Abu Dhabi yesterday that Mark Webber had not read the script. After dominating practice and currently enjoying a fine run of form (not to mention four world titles), Sebastian Vettel appeared to be a shoe-in for pole position at Yas Marina. However, with his last time on Saturday, Webber produced a near-perfect lap to score his second pole of the season whilst his teammate was forced to settle for second place.
All eyes will be on the front of the grid to see if Webber and Vettel can keep it clean at the front, but Mercedes are waiting in the wings in third and fourth place. However, both Lotus and Ferrari have work to do. The Italian team will start seventh and tenth on the grid with Massa ahead of Alonso, whilst Kimi Raikkonen was excluded from qualifying late last night after a technical irregularity on his Lotus E21 car. Nevertheless, it sets the scene for a fascinating race as night falls in Abu Dhabi.
As well as watching the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix on NBCSN live from 7:30am ET, you can catch the live coverage via NBC Sports Live Extra on your phone or tablet.
Customers with participating cable, satellite and telco TV providers can access the free service, which provides streaming coverage of all live NBC Sports events on both NBC and NBCSN through NBCSports.com/LiveExtra and the NBC Sports Live Extra app for iOS and select Android devices (available for purchase at the App Store and Google Play).
Formula One races are part of the programming shown on NBC Sports Live Extra, which also features the rest of NBCSN’s live-event roster: The IZOD IndyCar Series, the National Hockey League, the English Premier League, Major League Soccer, horse racing’s Triple Crown, and more.
You can also follow the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix live via the @F1onNBCSports Twitter account, which will be providing commentary throughout the race.
Finally, be sure to visit MotorSportsTalk throughout the weekend for all of the latest news and updates from the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.
- NHRA: Anderson wins 4th of ’15, Stoffer over Sampey in 3rd all-female final in NHRA history; Kalitta, Beckman also win 0
- Ken Block seizes opportunity, wins Red Bull GRC at MCAS New River 0
- F1 Paddock Pass: British Grand Prix post-race (VIDEO) 0
- Emotional Hamilton tears up on last lap of British GP, thanks fans for support en route to win 0
- Hamilton weathers the storm to claim third British GP victory at Silverstone 1
- Hamilton storms to home pole position at British GP 3
- Hamilton closes out British GP practice fastest 0