Nov 3, 2013, 3:05 PM EDT
The AAA Texas 500 is scheduled to take the green flag at 3:18 p.m. ET, but before the Sprint Cup contingent gets started on Chase Race No. 8, here are some interesting tidbits on how Sprint Cup races at Texas Motor Speedway have played out since the track’s first event in 1997…
- If you’re part of the anti-Jimmie Johnson brigade, you won’t like this one. The third-place starting position has produced more wins at Texas than any other starting position in the field. You get one guess where Johnson’s starting this afternoon.
- Hendrick Motorsports and Joe Gibbs Racing, the two teams at the center of the championship battle, each have four wins at Texas. But Roush Fenway Racing holds the top spot at TMS with nine victories overall. RFR has two drivers starting in the Top 10 today with pole sitter Carl Edwards and Ricky Stenhouse Jr. in ninth.
- Only three of the 25 Cup races at Texas have been won from the pole. However, the most recent two of those have come in consecutive events. Johnson converted a pole into a win in the fall race in 2012, and Kyle Busch did the same this past April.
- 19 of the 25 Cup races at Texas have been won from a Top-10 starting position.
- Matt Kenseth holds the distinction of having won from the deepest starting position at Texas, going from 31st to the win in 2002. Kenseth will roll off sixth this afternoon.
- Prior to today, 34 Sprint Cup races have been run in the state of Texas. Eight were staged at the Texas World Speedway in College Station, while a sole race was held at Houston’s Meyer Speedway.
- The winner of TMS’ Chase race has gone on to win the championship twice: Johnson in 2007 and Tony Stewart in 2011.
Video from NASCAR America
- Caterham given dispensation to miss Austin and Brazil 1
- Caterham the latest team to fall foul of the Leafield ‘curse’ 1
- Administrator takes over running of Caterham F1 Team 1
- Remembering the Hendrick Motorsports airplane tragedy: 10 years later, it still seems like just yesterday 3
- Talladega mystery: Did missing woman even make it to NASCAR race? Second fan to disappear in 18 months 14
- WATCH LIVE: NASCAR AMERICA at 5 p.m. ET for Martinsville outlook 0
- Caterham could miss Austin as crisis deepens at Leafield 2