Nov 3, 2013, 1:15 PM EST
Sebastian Vettel has said that his pace at the front during today’s Abu Dhabi Grand Prix came as something of a surprise, explaining that he felt like he was “flying” at times as he waltzed to his seventh consecutive victory.
Vettel’s success sees him tie with Michael Schumacher for the most number of consecutive wins during a single season, but he admitted that he did not expect to be so far ahead of the rest of the field. Eventually, the German driver crossed the line over half a minute ahead of second-placed Mark Webber.
“The car was absolutely brilliant,” Vettel said. “Absolutely brilliant. Not much more to say. I was flying at some stages, at least it felt like it. Massive gaps, big surprise.”
The four-time world champion went on to thank his team and engine suppliers Renault, who scored their fiftieth win with their current configuration of engine, the RS27.
“Thanks to the team, thanks to Renault as well,” Vettel said. “A lot of our success is also down to them. They’re doing a very, very good job and I hope that next year we’ll have an engine that’s as powerful and as reliable as this year’s.”
For all of his records, Vettel will head to the United States Grand Prix in two weeks looking to win the event for the first time. It stands as one of just two events on the 2013 calendar that he is yet to win, with the other being the Hungarian Grand Prix. Given his current vein of form, it is difficult to see the German driver easing off any time soon.
- Driver, team owner and now actor: Tony Stewart’s first edition of ‘Smoke is The Bandit’ is released (video) 0
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed 5
- Williams launches new livery, confirms Martini partnership 3
- F1 on NBC Sports TV, streaming schedule for 2014 Australian Grand Prix 4
- Report: F1 apparently headed for Azerbaijan in 2015 or 2016 5
- Instead of significant improvement, 2014 starting off the way 2013 ended for Danica Patrick (10)
- Kurt Busch gives IndyCar chance to show they’ve learned lesson on promotion (10)
- Alonso discovers an F1 take on Ellen’s Oscar “Selfie” (6)
- UPDATED: FIA decision on Haas, new F1 teams delayed (5)
- BHA announces The Collection Auto Group and Castrol as sponsors; driver TBD (5)