Nov 3, 2013, 1:45 PM EST
Mark Webber has heaped praise upon teammate Sebastian Vettel after the German driver dominated proceedings during today’s Abu Dhabi Grand Prix to win the race by over thirty seconds.
The Australian driver had started on pole position but dropped down to third place off the start. However, a good performance enabled him to pass Nico Rosberg for second place and stay there until the checkered flag. Although he was frustrated to not have converted pole into his first win of the season, Webber had nothing but praise for his teammate.
“Sebastian was in another category today,” he said. “So probably this was the maximum result, even if we got away in front. He was quick and very, very strong. It was then obviously a recovery job against Nico who got a better start than both of us.”
The relationship between Webber and Vettel has been tenuous during their five seasons as teammates, but the Australian driver conceded that his Red Bull stablemate is in the form of his life.
“I think he’s in a sweet spot, for sure. Obviously I’ve got a few gray hairs now, I’m doing my best but yeah, he’s driving well.
“In the end I did my best today. It’s my equal personal best around here so would have liked to have got the win but that was Seb’s today.”
Webber has two more chances to claim his tenth career victory before his retirement at the end of the season ahead of his move to Porsche’s LMP1 campaign in 2014.
- Ferrari chairman expects another tough season in 2015 0
- Carl Edwards: “I plan on winning 10 races and the championship” 3
- NASCAR: Dale Jr. expects even more performance in 2015 1
- UPDATED — Highway to Hell(cat): Owner wrecks 707-hp Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat one hour after buying it 53
- John Force like you’ve never seen him: ‘Papa John’ the grandfather (video) 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son, Mick Jr., has ‘secret’ F4 test 3
- Report: The Sprint Experience will not return in 2015 4