Nov 3, 2013, 1:45 PM EDT
Mark Webber has heaped praise upon teammate Sebastian Vettel after the German driver dominated proceedings during today’s Abu Dhabi Grand Prix to win the race by over thirty seconds.
The Australian driver had started on pole position but dropped down to third place off the start. However, a good performance enabled him to pass Nico Rosberg for second place and stay there until the checkered flag. Although he was frustrated to not have converted pole into his first win of the season, Webber had nothing but praise for his teammate.
“Sebastian was in another category today,” he said. “So probably this was the maximum result, even if we got away in front. He was quick and very, very strong. It was then obviously a recovery job against Nico who got a better start than both of us.”
The relationship between Webber and Vettel has been tenuous during their five seasons as teammates, but the Australian driver conceded that his Red Bull stablemate is in the form of his life.
“I think he’s in a sweet spot, for sure. Obviously I’ve got a few gray hairs now, I’m doing my best but yeah, he’s driving well.
“In the end I did my best today. It’s my equal personal best around here so would have liked to have got the win but that was Seb’s today.”
Webber has two more chances to claim his tenth career victory before his retirement at the end of the season ahead of his move to Porsche’s LMP1 campaign in 2014.
- Rosberg tames wet conditions to claim Belgian GP pole 0
- Bottas breaks Mercedes’ stranglehold at Spa by topping FP3 0
- Ryan Blaney passes Kyle Busch on final restart, hangs on to win Nationwide race at Bristol 1
- Kevin Harvick edges Jeff Gordon for Bristol Sprint Cup pole 1
- Will A.J. Allmendinger seek payback for Brad Daugherty’s practical joke? 1
- 2015 NASCAR Schedule to be Revealed Tuesday, 5 p.m. ET, on special NASCAR AMERICA 0
- Rossi disappointed, but diplomatic, after Marussia no-go 1