Nov 4, 2013, 6:00 PM EDT
OK, so this weekend in Abu Dhabi did not go according to plan for Lotus’ Kimi Raikkonen – at all.
On-track, it was miserable with Raikkonen’s car failing post-qualifying technical inspection and dropping to the rear of the field, before retiring on the first lap with contact and leaving the track early. But, it now looks as though a deal appears to have been reached to pay the outgoing Finn in the wake of the turbulence of this weekend.
Still, remember Abu Dhabi last year? Indeed it was happier times for the Finn – a controlled drive ending in his first victory back in Formula One upon his return from his two-year hiatus.
And of course, within the race came two of Raikkonen’s most iconic radio transmissions. The famous “leave me alone, I know what I’m doing” was uttered this day last year, along with a separate call to essentially tell the pit wall to sod off.
Relive the good times below.
- Preview: IndyCar will race to honor Wilson, and to close its season, at Sonoma 0
- Andretti to field No. 25 car at Sonoma; Oriol Servia to drive Wilson tribute car 3
- IndyCars cross the Golden Gate Bridge; pay tribute to Justin Wilson (PHOTOS, VIDEO) 4
- Fast Facts: GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma 4
- NHRA: Pro Stock driver Erica Enders hitting on all cylinders heading into U.S. Nationals 3
- IndyCar flashback: Justin Wilson finishes second, Will Power/Scott Dixon controversy at Sonoma 2013 (video) 3
- Report: FIA to conduct closed cockpit tests next month 13