Nov 4, 2013, 6:00 PM EDT
OK, so this weekend in Abu Dhabi did not go according to plan for Lotus’ Kimi Raikkonen – at all.
On-track, it was miserable with Raikkonen’s car failing post-qualifying technical inspection and dropping to the rear of the field, before retiring on the first lap with contact and leaving the track early. But, it now looks as though a deal appears to have been reached to pay the outgoing Finn in the wake of the turbulence of this weekend.
Still, remember Abu Dhabi last year? Indeed it was happier times for the Finn – a controlled drive ending in his first victory back in Formula One upon his return from his two-year hiatus.
And of course, within the race came two of Raikkonen’s most iconic radio transmissions. The famous “leave me alone, I know what I’m doing” was uttered this day last year, along with a separate call to essentially tell the pit wall to sod off.
Relive the good times below.
- Power wins Verizon P1 Award in Detroit with new track record 1
- Preview: Detroit’s doubleheader a crucial weekend for IndyCar championship 0
- ARCA: From welder to race car driver, Sarah Cornett-Ching continues her building prowess 2
- Taylor Swift to be featured on Tony Kanaan’s IndyCar in Detroit; will she make it to track? 7
- Surprises, struggles: NHRA at one-third mark of ’15 season 5
- FIA seeking new teams for Formula 1 in 2016 and 2017 8
- Gossage to Walker: “We need a more competitive race this year than last year” 2