Nov 4, 2013, 7:00 PM EDT
Conor Daly, one of two current American Formula One hopefuls along with Alexander Rossi, ended his variety pack of 2013 series races on the podium in Abu Dhabi. His third place finish in Race 2 helped him secure third place in the season standings, behind series champion Daniil Kvyat and runner-up Facu Regalia.
Daly finished in the middle of the three ART Grand Prix drivers in the series this year, with Regalia second and Jack Harvey in fifth. Daly’s season featured a win at Valencia in June, and five other podium finishes.
This season, Daly has also made his Indianapolis 500 debut, raced a one-off Indy Lights race in Houston in October, a one-off GP2 race in Malaysia in March, and won the MRF Challenge Championship in India over the winter.
After three seasons in GP3, Daly is at a bit of a crossroads. Options include working to secure the budget to advance into GP2 or the World Series by Renault full-time in Europe, or a move back Stateside, permanently, to race full-time in IndyCar. Daly made the rounds at a handful of non-conflicting IndyCar weekends this year.
As Daly tweeted earlier Monday, finding funding for the two European open-wheel series is proving a challenge. He was not able to scrounge enough together for a single day’s worth of testing for GP2.
- Alonso fastest in first practice for Chinese GP 0
- Flashback to when a 67-second pit stop at the Indy 500 was fast vs. a modern-day F1 stop (video) 1
- VIDEO: Chinese GP Paddock Pass 0
- BREAKING NEWS: Swan Racing’s future in NASCAR in question 2
- Long Beach weekend atmosphere thrills Roger Daltrey, as he promotes Teen Cancer America 0
More from NASCAR America
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Andretti drivers say GP of Long Beach should stay with IndyCar (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Jimmie Johnson do it old school style in a pair of classic pickup trucks (VIDEOS) (5)