Nov 4, 2013, 7:00 PM EST
Conor Daly, one of two current American Formula One hopefuls along with Alexander Rossi, ended his variety pack of 2013 series races on the podium in Abu Dhabi. His third place finish in Race 2 helped him secure third place in the season standings, behind series champion Daniil Kvyat and runner-up Facu Regalia.
Daly finished in the middle of the three ART Grand Prix drivers in the series this year, with Regalia second and Jack Harvey in fifth. Daly’s season featured a win at Valencia in June, and five other podium finishes.
This season, Daly has also made his Indianapolis 500 debut, raced a one-off Indy Lights race in Houston in October, a one-off GP2 race in Malaysia in March, and won the MRF Challenge Championship in India over the winter.
After three seasons in GP3, Daly is at a bit of a crossroads. Options include working to secure the budget to advance into GP2 or the World Series by Renault full-time in Europe, or a move back Stateside, permanently, to race full-time in IndyCar. Daly made the rounds at a handful of non-conflicting IndyCar weekends this year.
As Daly tweeted earlier Monday, finding funding for the two European open-wheel series is proving a challenge. He was not able to scrounge enough together for a single day’s worth of testing for GP2.
- Driver, team owner and now actor: Tony Stewart’s first edition of ‘Smoke is The Bandit’ is released (video) 0
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed 5
- Williams launches new livery, confirms Martini partnership 3
- F1 on NBC Sports TV, streaming schedule for 2014 Australian Grand Prix 4
- Report: F1 apparently headed for Azerbaijan in 2015 or 2016 5
- Instead of significant improvement, 2014 starting off the way 2013 ended for Danica Patrick (10)
- Kurt Busch gives IndyCar chance to show they’ve learned lesson on promotion (10)
- Alonso discovers an F1 take on Ellen’s Oscar “Selfie” (6)
- UPDATED: FIA decision on Haas, new F1 teams delayed (5)
- BHA announces The Collection Auto Group and Castrol as sponsors; driver TBD (5)