Nov 4, 2013, 7:00 PM EDT
Conor Daly, one of two current American Formula One hopefuls along with Alexander Rossi, ended his variety pack of 2013 series races on the podium in Abu Dhabi. His third place finish in Race 2 helped him secure third place in the season standings, behind series champion Daniil Kvyat and runner-up Facu Regalia.
Daly finished in the middle of the three ART Grand Prix drivers in the series this year, with Regalia second and Jack Harvey in fifth. Daly’s season featured a win at Valencia in June, and five other podium finishes.
This season, Daly has also made his Indianapolis 500 debut, raced a one-off Indy Lights race in Houston in October, a one-off GP2 race in Malaysia in March, and won the MRF Challenge Championship in India over the winter.
After three seasons in GP3, Daly is at a bit of a crossroads. Options include working to secure the budget to advance into GP2 or the World Series by Renault full-time in Europe, or a move back Stateside, permanently, to race full-time in IndyCar. Daly made the rounds at a handful of non-conflicting IndyCar weekends this year.
As Daly tweeted earlier Monday, finding funding for the two European open-wheel series is proving a challenge. He was not able to scrounge enough together for a single day’s worth of testing for GP2.
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR schedule reveals some potential 2015 IndyCar schedule hints; Texas IndyCar returns 2
- Kevin Harvick riled at Tony Stewart portrayal in Kevin Ward Jr. tragedy 89
- Like a good stew, 2015 Sprint Cup schedule and new Chase format need time to simmer for best taste 1
- NASCAR AMERICA: How did the 2015 schedule come together? (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR announces 2015 Sprint Cup, Nationwide, and Truck Series schedules (VIDEO) 4
- FIA won’t punish Nico Rosberg after Belgian GP incident with Lewis Hamilton 14
- Will Power once again in position for IndyCar title – but this time feels different 1