Nov 4, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT
Paul di Resta said his team’s decision to concentrate on its race performance at the expense of qualifying was vindicated by their result in the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.
Force India were the only team to successfully complete the race using a single pit stop for each of its cars. Di Resta claimed sixth and team mate Adrian Sutil was tenth.
“It’s a great feeling to finish sixth and make the one-stop strategy work,” said Di Resta.
“We had opted to set the car up more for the race and it really paid off today. There were times when we had to be very quick and times when we had to manage the pace and look after the tyres.”
“Towards the end of the race I was battling with Fernando [Alonso] and Lewis [Hamilton], but it was impossible to hold Fernando back because he was on much fresher soft tyres. Lewis was on the mediums so I just focussed on getting clean exits from the hairpin and the chicane leading onto the long straights, and was able to stay ahead.”
Force India have halted their slide in the last two races and have shored up their points buffer against a resurgent Sauber.
“The eight points are just what we needed and everybody in the team deserves credit for the big effort that has gone in this week,” added Di Resta. “That’s two strong weekends in a row and we will move to Austin determined to keep up the momentum.”
- For Josef Newgarden, year three is chance to enter IndyCar’s elite 1
- Kanaan set for more than just Indy 500 success with Ganassi switch in 2014 2
- Keselowski wins in Vegas as Dale Jr. runs dry on final lap 2
- NHRA king John Force charging as hard in boardroom for new sponsors as on the dragstrip 0
- Who are the new rookies in F1 this season? 1
- Kurt Busch gives IndyCar chance to show they’ve learned lesson on promotion (10)
- F1 on NBC Sports TV, streaming schedule for 2014 Australian Grand Prix (7)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (7)
- Alonso discovers an F1 take on Ellen’s Oscar “Selfie” (6)
- Busch news kicks off what may be a busy Tuesday for IndyCar (5)