Nov 6, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
Max Chilton has his sights set on remaining at Marussia for a second season in 2014.
His team mate Jules Bianchi has already been confirmed at the squad for next year.
Chilton told the official Formula One website: “Next year it’s most likely that I will stay with Marussia – but of course I have to get the deal done first.”
“The team has good potential, but it’s crucial that we stay ahead of Caterham in the constructors’ championship as the price money we’d get can make up a big percentage of our yearly budget.
“If we have that we can put it towards a better car for next year. That would really help! It would mean that we have the chance to start 2014 really strong.”
Marussia will switch to Ferrari power next year, ending a four-year association with Cosworth. The new V6 turbo power units with sophisticated energy recovery systems will be considerably heavier than this year’s engines, putting pressure on drivers to keep their weights down.
“Of course, there’s a lot of focus on drivers’ weights for 2014,” Chilton acknowledged.
“I’ve got quite a sweet tooth so yes I have to remind myself during the day not to grab too much candy, but in some ways I am privileged as although I’m quite tall, I’m also quite light. Having said that, for next year I probably will try to lose one or two kilos.”
- Raikkonen: Yes, he’s still motivated, otherwise he wouldn’t be here 0
- Red Bull tweaks Mercedes over attempt to increase ‘Fuelgate’ punishment 2
- NASCAR still humming along after last fall’s Richmond scandal 9
- Mercedes’ domination: Equivalent or different from Red Bull’s? 2
- Who is better off? 2013 vs 2014 F1 points comparison 0
More from NASCAR America
- VIDEO: Vettel ignores team orders, telling team “tough luck” (20)
- Alonso’s doing it again – another year outperforming teammate, equipment (11)
- NASCAR still humming along after last fall’s Richmond scandal (9)
- In re-released interview, Brad Keselowski recalls how Rick Hendrick left him heartbroken (8)
- Maldonado brushes off crash and spin in practice (7)