Nov 6, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
Max Chilton has his sights set on remaining at Marussia for a second season in 2014.
His team mate Jules Bianchi has already been confirmed at the squad for next year.
Chilton told the official Formula One website: “Next year it’s most likely that I will stay with Marussia – but of course I have to get the deal done first.”
“The team has good potential, but it’s crucial that we stay ahead of Caterham in the constructors’ championship as the price money we’d get can make up a big percentage of our yearly budget.
“If we have that we can put it towards a better car for next year. That would really help! It would mean that we have the chance to start 2014 really strong.”
Marussia will switch to Ferrari power next year, ending a four-year association with Cosworth. The new V6 turbo power units with sophisticated energy recovery systems will be considerably heavier than this year’s engines, putting pressure on drivers to keep their weights down.
“Of course, there’s a lot of focus on drivers’ weights for 2014,” Chilton acknowledged.
“I’ve got quite a sweet tooth so yes I have to remind myself during the day not to grab too much candy, but in some ways I am privileged as although I’m quite tall, I’m also quite light. Having said that, for next year I probably will try to lose one or two kilos.”
- Cooler heads prevail as IndyCar drivers test at Texas (VIDEO) 0
- Jeff Gordon has bad news for his rivals: He’s thinking of racing for 10 more years 2
- NASCAR’s birthplace, the Streamline Hotel in Daytona Beach, to get significant makeover 0
- IndyCar remix: Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach (VIDEO) 0
- Ten with Townsend: Long Beach Debrief 2
More from NASCAR America
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Andretti drivers say GP of Long Beach should stay with IndyCar (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Jimmie Johnson do it old school style in a pair of classic pickup trucks (VIDEOS) (5)