Nov 6, 2013, 10:00 AM EST
The future of Sergio Perez at McLaren is believed to be in jeopardy as the team weighs up promoting Danish rookie Kevin Magnussen to the team.
Magnussen romped to victory in the Formula Renault 3.5 championship this year winning five races in his sophomore season (and losing a sixth following a technical infringement) and claiming the title by 60 points.
McLaren are understood to have approached several F1 teams with a view to placing Magnussen with them next year, but reports suggest he could follow in Lewis Hamilton’s footsteps by making his debut for the team next year.
Magnussen is unfazed by the possibility of making his debut in F1 next year during a year of upheaval in the regulations. “It could be an advantage for us rookies because if anything it means that experience counts for less,” he told Sky. “No drivers will have experience of driving these cars.”
Perez’s position is in doubt following some lackluster performances earlier this year. But he has shown signs of turning it around recently, equaling McLaren’s best result of the season so far with fifth place in India.
McLaren enjoy an embarrassment of riches on their junior driver program at the moment, as Belgian drive Stoffel Vandoorne finished runner-up to Magnussen in his first season of Formula Renault 3.5.
- Driver, team owner and now actor: Tony Stewart’s first edition of ‘Smoke is The Bandit’ is released (video) 0
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed 5
- Williams launches new livery, confirms Martini partnership 3
- F1 on NBC Sports TV, streaming schedule for 2014 Australian Grand Prix 4
- Report: F1 apparently headed for Azerbaijan in 2015 or 2016 5
- Instead of significant improvement, 2014 starting off the way 2013 ended for Danica Patrick (10)
- Kurt Busch gives IndyCar chance to show they’ve learned lesson on promotion (10)
- Alonso discovers an F1 take on Ellen’s Oscar “Selfie” (6)
- UPDATED: FIA decision on Haas, new F1 teams delayed (5)
- BHA announces The Collection Auto Group and Castrol as sponsors; driver TBD (5)