Nov 6, 2013, 7:00 PM EDT
Falken Tire has confirmed it will race in the TUDOR United SportsCar Championship in 2014, as a privateer entry running new Porsche’s 911 GT3 RSR. The new 911, internally coded the 991, premiered in Europe this year with a two-car factory program in the FIA World Endurance Championship, and a factory two-car effort will also appear in the TUDOR Championship in 2014, with U.S. support and assistance from CORE autosport.
As for Falken, it’s welcome if not entirely unexpected news because the tire manufacturer joins Michelin in the GTLM category. GTLM is the only category where open tire competition will occur in 2014, with Continental the exclusive supplier to P, PC and GTD.
Longtime co-drivers Wolf Henzler and Bryan Sellers will return for their fifth full season together. The pair and one of Henzler’s fellow Porsche factory drivers, Nick Tandy, teamed up for a stunning upset and popular GT class win with its 2010-spec Porsche 911 in the American Le Mans Series finale at Petit Le Mans last month.
Derrick Walker, too, will return to manage the team from his Indianapolis-based shop. Walker will continue the dual role he served in the second half of 2013 as both team manager for Team Falken Tire and IndyCar’s president of competition and operations.
The team, unfortunately, is set to miss the Rolex 24 at Daytona, the season-opening TUDOR Championship race as it’s a new car and will need to be built up.
- NHRA: ‘Fast Jack’ Beckman earns 5th Funny Car win of 2015; Brown (TF), McGaha (PS), Krawiec (PSM) also win 4
- After dream-fulfilling day, Graham Rahal isn’t worried anymore 0
- Graham Rahal now trails Montoya by nine points in IndyCar standings 3
- Karam’s Mid-Ohio spin triggers frustration, skepticism from IndyCar paddock 12
- Rahal scores dream win on home soil in Honda 200 at Mid-Ohio 4
- Helio Castroneves leads halfway through the Honda Indy 200 at Mid-Ohio 0
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Mid-Ohio (1:30 p.m. ET, CNBC and Live Extra) 0